Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 10-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
jakescheel
Registered Member

Default I need help yamaha secca 1982 400

i am looking at buying a 1982 yamaha 400 seca it has 18000 mile on it and looks good but the tachometers out why would that be and how much to fix? any help or any problems with this bike i shgould know about
jakescheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Could be simply a bad ground has the tach out - could be a bad tach.

The bike runs OK? No sound of hammers caught in a clothesdryer or anything from the engine? You've test-ridden it, yes?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
jakescheel
Registered Member

i am going to tomorrow morrning what should i look at
Old 10-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

You can get a used tach for about forty bucks at any most any salvage shop, since it's an '82 the tach is driven by a cable, so you might want to look at the drive gear assembly that's located in the cylinder head, and the cable itself, maybe it's not there. When tachs get old and are about to fail, they make a horrible screeching noise, and sometimes people just take the cable out to save their hearing.

How much for the Yamaha? 18000 miles on a 26 year old 400cc bike is a lot of shifting and revving. Pay close attention to the cam chain, and how its been maintained. Also take a look at the color of the pipes, black soot indicates bad stuff, just as gooey oily stuff does. Even pull a spark plug. Look at the oil too. Also, check the adjustment on the clutch cable, if it's all the way out, you'll need some work done soon, and clutch parts aren't cheap. Sprockets and chain condition is a good indicator of maintenance in general.

If it looks thrashed, it probably is. Good luck, the Seca was a neat little bike.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
jakescheel
Registered Member

750 for the bike does that sound ok? and the bike looks brand new from the bikes i got they could be old i will see tomorrow he is riding it about 15 miles to meet me so i can see it
Old 10-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

The tach on that bike should be cable operated. If the cable is broken the tach won't work. A new cable (if available) is around $40. Or there are shops that make cables if the cable is discontinued. If the tach itself is broken then a new one is like $200 if available. You might find one in a junkyard.

Look for oil leaks around the engine covers. If the bike has sat a long time then leaky seals are likely. There are some articles on buying used bikes here:http://origin-www.motorcycle.com/how-to/index.html
Old 10-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

$750.00 sounds a little high, depending on the condition. I sold a nice '82 KZ750 with an 880cc kit for $500.00, and it ran like a top.

Be careful, nothing can make you madder than buying a bike that explodes shortly after you buy it. Offer the guy five bills and see what shakes loose. Let us know how it worked out, send a pic or two if you buy it.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

...and don't forget to check for rust in the gas tank. And snotty looking carbs that have brown mung and drool dripping from them...
Old 10-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #9
jakescheel
Registered Member

12a13613aZZZZZZZZZ89r5aab0d7f9e5219fd.jpg

this is the bike
Old 10-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Hmmm, looks pretty nice, hows it run? Any rattling or whirring noises? What do the sprockets look like? Brakes in good shape? Always likes the little Seca...I've got a soft spot for Yamahas anyway. Ever since Mercedes Benz went to them for the design of the cylinder head on that krappy 2.3 litre 4 banger they foisted on the auto buying public back in the 80's.