Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 10-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
CoolJoker197
Registered Member

Default need a get by brake pad...auto parts store?

well i ordered a set of front pads days and days ago and they're still not delivered to the dealer, and i'm just plain tired of not getting to ride. 3 of the 4 pads have acceptable pad left, but one is completely gone, and i don't want to scrape up the rotor any more than it already is.

so as with oil filters fitting more than one thing, is it possible that autozone or advance auto sells a pad that would fit my bike? i know it sounds ridiculous, but i'd assume as big as the front rotors on a bike are compared to most car rotors that there would be some level of interchangeability. if i were to bring the pad up there, could they match it?

just an idea.....bleh. i'd rather be riding >_>

the bike is a 03 yzf600r.
CoolJoker197 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

It's possible, but here's the question: do you really want to ride that bad? You're talking about brakes here; not only might you wind up unable to stop, but imagine what would happen if your front wheel locked up at 50mph.

I wouldn't do it. BTW: don't you have a Cycle Gear store around? They have rows of common size pads for most bikes.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

That's a pretty well-amortized bike - I don't get why they can't find pads, probably uses the Showa twin-pot caliper that's been on virtually every "second string" bike made from 1982 to present-day.

There's not an "Independent" Dealer around you?

I can think of at least two shops within a short drive from me that would probably have the pads, or could get 'em within a week.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
CoolJoker197
Registered Member

yeah there's plenty of dealers around here, i ordered the pads from the yamaha shop monday, they were supposed to be in wednesday....here it is going to be friday or worse. where i live, nobody really keeps parts like that in stock, or so it seems. i try to do business with the dealer just to keep a good relationship and keep him afloat, but sometimes i just want to get stuff online in spite of it all.

i took out the pads wednesday so i could put them in, but i got aggrivated today so i rebuilt them as is, and went riding anyway. the bike is my main transportation.

i've got enough stopping power to lock the tire if i grabbed a handful, i just don't want to damage the rotor any more than i have to.

hopefully they'll be in tomorrow and i'll have 3 decent ones for backup from now on.
CoolJoker197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolJoker197 View Post
yeah there's plenty of dealers around here, i ordered the pads from the yamaha shop monday, they were supposed to be in wednesday....here it is going to be friday or worse. where i live, nobody really keeps parts like that in stock, or so it seems. i try to do business with the dealer just to keep a good relationship and keep him afloat, but sometimes i just want to get stuff online in spite of it all.

i took out the pads wednesday so i could put them in, but i got aggrivated today so i rebuilt them as is, and went riding anyway. the bike is my main transportation.

i've got enough stopping power to lock the tire if i grabbed a handful, i just don't want to damage the rotor any more than i have to.

hopefully they'll be in tomorrow and i'll have 3 decent ones for backup from now on.
Sounds like you were suffering from a caliper problem too - with one pad gone and 3 pads "OK".
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You can order them yourself off a number of different web sites like EBC or MAW. I wouldn't think an auto parts store had them.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote