Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   bike brake keeps on rubbing on disc (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/9684-bike-brake-keeps-rubbing-disc.html)

The_AirHawk 10-02-2008 02:41 PM

It also sounds like a classic case of the front-brake master cylinder being overfilled.

I'd bet when they installed your new pads at the shop, they just pushed the pistons back-into the calipers, threw the new pads on there, slapped it all back-together and said "there you go".

No fresh fluid, no bleed, no piston cleaning; no nothin'.

ash1981 10-02-2008 02:44 PM

i try that ta

ash1981 10-02-2008 02:46 PM

well the fluild is fill right to the top what do you lot think best thing to do take back to the garage or run it in for a couple of days

ash1981 10-02-2008 02:48 PM

the bike is only is only 20 months old

Kenneth_Moore 10-02-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash1981 (Post 195013)
well the fluild is fill right to the top what do you lot think best thing to do take back to the garage or run it in for a couple of days

You can't ride it with the brakes getting red hot. Seriously. If the brakes are that hot for any length of time, they'll overheat the wheel bearings. That will cause the lube to fail, and the bearings to sieze. Best case you'll lowside when the rear locks up, worst case you'll do a 200' parabolic arc over the handlebars. Maybe you'll land in a convertible full of hotties, more likely you'll land in front of a UPS truck doing 50.

Take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it, now! You paid them, didn't you?

The_AirHawk 10-02-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash1981 (Post 195013)

I think that's your answer right there - there's a MAX FILL LINE that's cast-into the reservoir - it should not be higher than that. Brake fluid expands a bit when it gets hot.

You overfill it, get on the brakes hard once or twice; - the fluid gets hot and expands a bit, the expanded fluid then has no place to "go" so it pushes the pistons back out of the caliper, slightly applying the brakes - so, the brakes (and fluid with it) get HOTTER and expand MORE.......

You can see where this is going, I presume.

If you paid to have the brakes serviced, I'm not certain I'd go back to that shop - this is a SERIOUS safety-problem you have here. It's advisable to correct it or get someone that KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING to correct it for you before riding the bike again. I'd hate to read your next post starting out "Well, AFTER the front brake locked up and I CRASHED, the Ambulance Personnel were very friendly................."

seruzawa 10-02-2008 05:43 PM

The only way to be sure is to do the maintenance yourself. Get a factory shop manual and follow the directions.

There are some very good mechanics out there. There are also a lot of bad ones. Many of them are ex-cons and dopers. That's why I do any job that doesn't require a machine shop.

ash1981 10-03-2008 02:01 AM

ta for your help i will get it sorted