Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
fearlife87
Registered Member

Default custom build much help needed.

ok, i have a friend that does great body work, and so he and i have decided to build me a bike and i think im going to use basically the new r1 front end. and just something custom in the back. but, i want a carbuerated motor, and i would like to start with a 600 frame, and i want to put at least a 1000 in it. so my question is.

what is the biggest/fastest carbureted motor than you can bolt right into a 600 frame.(example a katana 600 to an old gsxr 1100 motor) insurance reasons

i'd like to stick with suzuki because of the price, but my options are open, i have about 1800 to spend on a bike in any running condition. so ima need an older bike.

i also wanna stick with the company's race bike.
gsxr , ninja, r1, cbr, ect.

i figured i'd post this question here, cause there are so many possibilities, it's making my head hurt.

im seriously thinking about suzuki, but kawasaki might work

Last edited by fearlife87 : 09-29-2008 at 09:59 PM.
fearlife87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Better check the emissions laws because it might be illegal to build what you are proposing.

The advisability of riding a cobbled together 160mph motorcycle is another issue entirely.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

Why?

I cannot fathom why you would want to do this.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
fearlife87
Registered Member

then you obviously dont know much about bikes.

cobbled together? the only thing im changing is the engine. and im making custom bodywork. ?? thats not alot.
i'll probly change the swing arm too. but still.

you buy a 600 frame for insurance reasons drop the 1100 in and you can go a quick as you want.

they dont do emissions testing here in SC
Old 09-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"then you obviously dont know much about bikes."

Most people here forgot more about bikes than you ever knew. I think I would listen instead of talk.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlife87 View Post
then you obviously dont know much about bikes.

cobbled together? the only thing im changing is the engine. and im making custom bodywork. ?? thats not alot.
i'll probly change the swing arm too. but still.

you buy a 600 frame for insurance reasons drop the 1100 in and you can go a quick as you want.

they dont do emissions testing here in SC
You said you are going to start with a new R1 fork and then maybe stick a Suzuki 600 frame to it and then stick in an old carburetted GSX1100 engine in it and then put on a different swing arm. If that doesn't fit the definition of "cobbled together" I don't know what does. Heaven only knows what the rake/trail are going to be. Better put in a steering damper too. I suggest one off of a Kawasaki just to keep the motif going.

You do realize that you have to mate the electrics of the 600 body to whatever 1100 engine you get? It might be "easiest" to install the entire electrics suite from whatever 1100 you choose.

But, hey, it might work. Send us pictures.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I tried sticking a KZ750 motor in an old Husky 400 frame. Would have ended up with a 10 foot long monstrosity. You have to check out things like where the coutershaft sprocket will end up vs. the rear sprocket, where the carbs will reside, and if you'll have enough room for air cleaners, the battery, then if you have to cut the frame anywhere, you'll need a "table" to make sure you get the frame straight when you weld it back together, it's not just about "cobbling" something together with a hammer and a hacksaw & some JB Weld, if you want something nice. Get the 600 Suzuki, and a 1000cc basket case bike, remove the engine cradle from the 1000cc frame, and transplant it into the 600 frame. Also the swingarm. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
fearlife87
Registered Member

i diddnt mean the r1 forks, i meant the plastics, and i think im going to use a suzuki 600 frame and the old gsxr 1100 motor, i dont intend on cutting the frame, and yea, i imagine i'll have to swap over electrical system. i just diddnt know if anyone had ever dropped an old 1157 into an old 600 frame
Old 09-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Do yourself and your family a favor, spend the $1800 on a Suzuki Bandit and learn how to ride. Your plan WILL wind up as an un-ridable pile of chopped up motorcycles in your garage, the fact that you have to ask basic questions shows that you don't have a clue as to what you're doing so save yourself and everyone else a headache and buy a running bike and leave it at that.

Building bikes is harder than it looks on TV and yes I've built a few and I do as do others here know what we're talking about.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Do yourself and your family a favor, spend the $1800 on a Suzuki Bandit and learn how to ride. Your plan WILL wind up as an un-ridable pile of chopped up motorcycles in your garage, the fact that you have to ask basic questions shows that you don't have a clue as to what you're doing so save yourself and everyone else a headache and buy a running bike and leave it at that.

Building bikes is harder than it looks on TV and yes I've built a few and I do as do others here know what we're talking about.
Let's see. For starters the old 1157cc Suzuki motor is several inches wider than the 600. So the engine will have to be placed with the countershaft sprocket in line with the rear sprocket which in turn will have the engine COG weight a couple of inches to the right of the design COG of the stock 600. So if it ever runs he'll be riding down the road leaning to the left just to go straight.

Cool!