Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Shinglejohn
Registered Member

Default Cb650 starter trouble

I just bought a CB650 from a hillbilly who hillbillyed the damn thing up, i dont even want to get started on all the wacky things i have found (like the wrong battery, of which did not fit properly in the battery holder , a problem solved by stuffing cardboard in there to pad it).
It stated just fine yesterday, but after tearing into it a little bit attepmting to fix some of his goofy work, the starter no longer turns over. when i push the start button, the headlight turn off for the duration the button is pushed, but no starter.

could this be a fuse? any ideas?
Shinglejohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Tarnation! Whut did u do to that there mo'sickle? Sounds to me like some hi falutin' perkerwood been a-fixin' thangs he shudnt been a-touchin. MA! PA! GIT THE SHOTGUN!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Shinglejohn
Registered Member

yes, that is very cute, but im a affrraid it is not very useful.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

The only way to un-hillbilly wiring messes is to bypass the starter circuit all together. Get a hot wire somehere in the harness that gets juice when the key is on, hook that up to the starter soleniod with a push-button starter switch in-between the circuit, and bingo, you have the starter working again. That's how I fixed an old KX750 that was given to me in a basket, with the wrong wiring harness half-assed on the bike.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinglejohn View Post
Matt's forgotten more about bikes than most of us will ever know...if you're nice to him he may give you some helpful info...if you can put up with the humor.

Meantime: are there any safety starter cut-out switches on the bike that might be the issue? Like the kickstand or clutch? Also, a weak battery or loose connections can give you headlight etc. but not have enough amps to turn the starter. You might try a jump; if you use a car or truck make sure they are not running.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Cuddy is kind of like MO's Mr Miyagi. Theirs a ton of knowledge in that distilled brain of his, but you need to paint his fence and wax his car before he will show you how to kick William Zabka's ass.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Shinglejohn
Registered Member

I know Cuddy is just screwingaround, you know anyone that is rocking the R. Crumb in their signature is a twisted SOB. Any how, i got my manual in the mail today and went through the entire electrical system and check connections etc. It is now starting and running pretty decently, however...

This bike is equiped with an automatic fuel valve and the hose coming from the air vant nozzle is broken and about 2 inches long and has a screw screwed into the end of it. What ythe heck is that about, where is that hose supposed to go?

My manual says nothing about the auto fuel valve.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
I know Cuddy is just screwingaround, you know anyone that is rocking the R. Crumb in their signature is a twisted SOB. Any how, i got my manual in the mail today and went through the entire electrical system and check connections etc. It is now starting and running pretty decently, however...

This bike is equiped with an automatic fuel valve and the hose coming from the air vant nozzle is broken and about 2 inches long and has a screw screwed into the end of it. What ythe heck is that about, where is that hose supposed to go?

My manual says nothing about the auto fuel valve.
Excellent, I'm glad you made some progress. The manual is the way to go. Unfortunately I can't help you with the fuel valve/hose thing.

And Robert Crumb is quite the dysfunctional freak (his brother, also). The documentary was...interesting.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

"This bike is equiped with an automatic fuel valve and the hose coming from the air vant nozzle is broken and about 2 inches long and has a screw screwed into the end of it. What ythe heck is that about, where is that hose supposed to go?"

The fuel valve is operated by the vacuum of the motor, it's usually attached to a vacuum fitting off no.2 cylinder's intake manifold, and has a vacuum line going to the fuel valve's diaphram. If the fitting is busted on the fuel valve, make sure the vacuum port is plugged up on the intake manifold, and run the fuel valve on "prime".

Does anyone know what diddy wah diddy means?
Old 09-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post

Does anyone know what diddy wah diddy means?
It's the east coast form of the west coast expression, "Do wapa loolah." In the midwest they say, "Oompapa mau mau."

I'm surprised you didn't know this.

Last edited by seruzawa : 09-29-2008 at 03:08 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote