Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
wayne1028
Registered Member

Default changing oil in my vstar 650

I Just Purchased My First Motorcycle Which Is A V Star 650 Classic. Its Time To Change The Oil & I Don't Want To Pay An Arm & A Leg For The Oil Change I Can Do It Myself With Asome Direction.

I'm Sure Its Not Much Different Than A Car. But What If I'm Wrong.

1. Drain It
2. Change Filter
3. Refill With Oil

What Have I Missed I'm Sure Its Not That Easy. Don't Want To Get In The Middle & Have A Problem

Anyone Can Give Me Some Direction I Would Really Appreciate It.
wayne1028 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
wayne1028
Registered Member

Please If Anyone Can Help Me
wayne1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

First you must determine the correct viscosity of oil that is used in your motorbike. Usually a good grade of 60 weight Valvolene non-detergent works. Then, you must determine what size wrenches to use when removing the drain plug. If this informationis unavailable, a good set of mole grips does the job just fine. Once the drain plug has been removed, you can now find a proper recepticle to drain the used motor oin into, and dispose of it by pouring it down a manhole cover in the dead of night with a transmission funnel. Now comes the hard part, re-installing the drain plug and re-filling the motor with oil. Some say the line on the dipstick is just a reference point to go by, and fill the motor full of oil, past the oil control rings on the piston(s). This will insure proper lubrication, and correct sealing of all ring surfaces. Now with regards to the oil filter, my uncle had a '53 Buick Super that used a roll of toilet paper as the filtering medium for the oil. You might waht to try this also, get some cheap stuff, like Costco toilet paper, not the expensive scented stuff that can hurt the motor with funny smells and strange chemicals made to be easy on your a$$. Now you know the routine, go for it!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1028 View Post
Please If Anyone Can Help Me
The bike is no different from any other engine. Get the oil hot, drain it. Remove and replace the filter; being sure to oil the gasket. By the way; newer bikes are using O-Ring type filters and the old rule of "hand tighten" does not apply. Some of them torque down quite hard, so read your manual or ask your local shop if you're not sure. Use motorcycle specific oil, do NOT use car oil.

Now You Tell Me Why You Type Every Word With A Capitalized First Letter. It's Creepy And You Need To Stop It.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Don't Listen To Him! He Is Wrong! Do What I Said And You'll Be OK!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Don't listen to Cuddy he's an old and bitter man, after his dreams of winning the 500cc World Motocross Championship were thwarted by Roger DeCoster and Bengt Aaberg stuffed him into a berm allowing Hiekki Mikkola to roost off his leg one too many times he's resigned himself to drinking cheap hooch and yelling at children to get off his lawn....

A sad end to such a promising young man, none the less he's full o' sh*t as a Christmas goose, most drain plugs are a tight fit, you need a hammer and a screwdriver to knock them loose, not a pair of Channel Locks...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote