Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
myculb
Registered Member

Default Intruder Electrical problems

Hi all,
while riding my '99 suzuki intruder 1400, the plate holding my battery in place, came open and my battery fell down to the road. after getting it pulled over and then towed home, i checked the battery and all the fuses and they were fine. when i switch the key to the "on" position, nothing happens. no headlight, no instrument panel, nothing. when i switch the key to the "park" position, the tail light does come on. any ideas or suggestions? thanks
myculb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

When the battery fell out it stretched the cables it is connected to. Look for a connector or wire pulled loose.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Get a new battery.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

What happened to you is the dreaded "Correolis Effect" that caused all the electrons in your motorcycle to reverse polarity. The only way to un-do the damage to the electric aura that surrounds your motorcycle is to wear some fuzzy bedroom slippers and scurry around on a shag rug from the 1970's and after generating enough static electricity from the shuffling around you must lay hands on the "black box" and heal the motorcycle back to life! HEAL! HEAL!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
What happened to you is the dreaded "Correolis Effect" that caused all the electrons in your motorcycle to reverse polarity. The only way to un-do the damage to the electric aura that surrounds your motorcycle is to wear some fuzzy bedroom slippers and scurry around on a shag rug from the 1970's and after generating enough static electricity from the shuffling around you must lay hands on the "black box" and heal the motorcycle back to life! HEAL! HEAL!
Do you ever answer with a straight face or answer? Funny stuff.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
When the battery fell out it stretched the cables it is connected to. Look for a connector or wire pulled loose.
I would check this first! Hes probly right. Seems as though someone got lazy on tightening up the screws on the battery box, cause they are a ***** to get to and even harder on the vs800 as the regulator/rectifier sits in the way. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Bouncing batteries down the road usually shortens their life span considerably. Get a new battery, check the positive and ground cables and make sure the battery box fasteners are tightened up. I'd use blue locktite to make durn sure they didn't come loose again.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Ah, didnt think I'd have to say replace the battery, if it went tumbling down the road. That would be a givin, and as long as the bolts are touqed properly you should'nt have to worry.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
Jimmyhnrx
Registered Member

I agree with the vs800 being more difficult to work on. Just try to get the spark plug out. It's a nightmare. I think the Ford engineers went to work at Suzuki???
Old 09-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyhnrx View Post
I agree with the vs800 being more difficult to work on. Just try to get the spark plug out. It's a nightmare. I think the Ford engineers went to work at Suzuki???
Is this the one that you have to drop the exhaust system to install the plugs and change the filter?