Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   Motorcycle Tire replacement time line (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/9473-motorcycle-tire-replacement-time-line.html)

imthepcguy 09-10-2008 04:09 PM

Motorcycle Tire replacement time line

Other than the obvious what is the average mileage for tire replacement, have a Yamaha R6s and have 3000 miles on it and was wondering when I should prepare.

seruzawa 09-10-2008 04:32 PM

What brand of tyre?

The_AirHawk 09-10-2008 04:55 PM

How often do you perform rolling burnouts?

There's an old saying: "If you think you might need tires soon, you already DO."

Oh - and Firefox SUCKS!

12er 09-10-2008 05:08 PM

1500 to 5000 is typical for sport rubber. If you ride hard you can burn them up in two days. If you ride like a grandma out for a sunday ride then you may get up to 5k. Your mileage may vary...

mscuddy 09-10-2008 05:25 PM

Get some Fisk cincher tyres made from natural gutta-percha and chicle. They stick like glue, and the whitish-pink patina of the tyres sets off the lines of a classy looking scooter like the Excelcior 61 cube IOE.

pushrod 09-10-2008 08:51 PM

When you can see the air inside the tire, you waited too long!

Honestly, your question is nigh on impossible to answer. When you see the wear indicators, or have worn a flat crown on the rear, you may want to put fresh 'buns' (as the motorcyle magazine guys love to call them) on your bike.

The_AirHawk 09-10-2008 09:36 PM

Of course, this advice-giver (i.e. - me) usually doesn't replace tires until he cords them...........

(but I do my own tire work - and put Tomahawk Sport-compound reman-tires on my commuter bike - an '04 FZ-6. stick really well, but don't like oiled-pavement in the rain, and I typically get 5000-7500 miles from the rear, depending on how much highway I ride, about double from a front)

sachiwilson 09-10-2008 09:43 PM

I get about 12,000 miles from Michelin Pilots on my 599. Those are not the really sticky tires though. If I were using Pilot Powers I'd probably get 4K. I have Powers on my CB-1, but I haven't worn them down very far yet.

There's really no one answer, because it depends on the tire, the bike, the kind of roads you ride on, the kind of riding you do, and on and on.

sarnali2 09-10-2008 10:00 PM

If they're anywhere near the wear bars when October rolls around you better change them, wet winter roads ain't no time for worn out tires.....other than that it depends on too much for a pat answer, I would go with the sport touring compounded tires over pure sport tires though, you should get around 10k out of them and not really notice a difference in traction unless you do track days or ride very aggressively on the street

Kenneth_Moore 09-11-2008 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 193400)
you may want to put fresh 'buns' (as the motorcyle magazine guys love to call them) on your bike.

I think the correct motojourno-speak is to: "spoon on fresh buns." It's my second favorite cliche, right after "spent exhaust gasses."