Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 08-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
gand5000
Registered Member

Default Yamahah VStar 1100--sudden problems appear

So, after a lay-off period of riding, due to being incredibly busy, I decided to take the bike out again and make sure everything was fine. It wasn't. Previously had ridden perfectly w/ no hint of problems at all.

Previously I'd accidentally drained the battery. I had let it sit because I was busy and then out of state on vacation. Got back, jumped the battery about 1.5 hours ago, charged, got out to ride and charge the battery.

Right away I saw a couple problems crop up--- 1) speedometer was no longer working, stuck at zero. 2) hesitation and some bucking at low rpms, like it wanted to die. Ran fine at constant and higher rpms. I had to rev it to keep it from dying as I took off from stoplights. It seemed that towards the end of my ride it ran better at lower rpms. can't be sure though.

The speedo sat at zero almost the entire time, although at a couple points when I shifted into neutral the needle would suddenly jump up to 15-20 mph, flicker, then drop to 0. At one point my speedo and odo were both flickering.

So, need some help. Not mechanically inclined at all, but also near broke so it may end up being on me to fix it.. I have the repair manual.

Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is that I may have gotten some water in the fuel or something. It did unfortunately sit out in a couple brief but intense rain storms the couple days prior to now. I usually cover it, but forgot to look at the weather and went to bed both times .
gand5000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
12er
Founding Member

I'd say your battery is dead even if it takes a surface charge. That or you have some corrosion up under the cable shielding.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

No, it's not water. You have gummed up carbs. When fuel sits long enough, it turns to varnish, and that is coating all the little passages in your carbs. You'll need to take the carbs apart and clean them so thoroughly you could eat off them.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
gand5000
Registered Member

Thanks to both, I didn't think it sat that long, 2 weeks, maaaaaybe 3 weeks tops. Nothing more serious than gummed carbs? Given the sudden onset I was kinda shocked and a bit taken aback. what cleaning compounds do you recommend?

The battery is fresh, just pulled a brain fart and left the keys in it to kill it the first time (was hurrying to my MS defense). Where is the most likely spot to look at for the corrosion under the shielding? would it be more likely near the battery end or near the feed to the speedo readout?
gand5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gand5000 View Post
Thanks to both, I didn't think it sat that long, 2 weeks, maaaaaybe 3 weeks tops. Nothing more serious than gummed carbs? Given the sudden onset I was kinda shocked and a bit taken aback. what cleaning compounds do you recommend?

The battery is fresh, just pulled a brain fart and left the keys in it to kill it the first time (was hurrying to my MS defense). Where is the most likely spot to look at for the corrosion under the shielding? would it be more likely near the battery end or near the feed to the speedo readout?
With only 3 weeks of sitting your gas shouldn't have gone bad and your carbs shouldn't be gummed up.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

when a battery goes dead the rate at which it builds sulfate increases geometrically. In other words if you drain a battery starting a car and charge it up right away it will probably recover. If it sits even a few days in a dead state it will build up enough sulfate to short a cell or two and you will get a battery that won't charge to over 8 or 10 volts or even less. It will never recover no matter how long you charge it. It doesn't matter if the battery is 3 years old or brand new. Once it gets loaded with sulfate it's gone.

It is possible to rejuv a battery by draining it, flushing it thoroughly with water through each cell to clean out the sulfate and putting in new acid. But this must be done with distilled water and pouring acid battery down the drain is usually illegal.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Check your Email. Your propaganda has arrived.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gand5000 View Post
So, after a lay-off period of riding, due to being incredibly busy, I decided to take the bike out again and make sure everything was fine. It wasn't. Previously had ridden perfectly w/ no hint of problems at all.

Previously I'd accidentally drained the battery. I had let it sit because I was busy and then out of state on vacation. Got back, jumped the battery about 1.5 hours ago, charged, got out to ride and charge the battery.

Right away I saw a couple problems crop up--- 1) speedometer was no longer working, stuck at zero. 2) hesitation and some bucking at low rpms, like it wanted to die. Ran fine at constant and higher rpms. I had to rev it to keep it from dying as I took off from stoplights. It seemed that towards the end of my ride it ran better at lower rpms. can't be sure though.

The speedo sat at zero almost the entire time, although at a couple points when I shifted into neutral the needle would suddenly jump up to 15-20 mph, flicker, then drop to 0. At one point my speedo and odo were both flickering.

So, need some help. Not mechanically inclined at all, but also near broke so it may end up being on me to fix it.. I have the repair manual.

Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is that I may have gotten some water in the fuel or something. It did unfortunately sit out in a couple brief but intense rain storms the couple days prior to now. I usually cover it, but forgot to look at the weather and went to bed both times .
I would go with the slow speed jets being clogged, like someone else said. When the bike is at idle it doesnt require alot of gas so the jet hole is tiny. This makes it very easy to get clogged up.

However old the gas was when you bought it let me remind you that gas goes bad quicker with more air in the tank. So if their was very little fuel in the tank it may have gone bad that quick, possibly? Although thats a pretty short amount of time.

The burning question I have is when you say you "jumped it?" Do you mean you jumped it from a car, possibly? And what year is the XVS1100?

Last edited by MOKE1K : 08-25-2008 at 08:57 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote