Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   Fork Extenders? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/9289-fork-extenders.html)

BrowningBAR 08-21-2008 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 191878)
Moke, you just agreed with me. Yet in your first post you said:

Which they do not, as you agree. So what's the issue? OH I SEE!! You plan to raise the WHOLE bike, because raising the REAR (which you didn't mention at all in your first post) will aid turn in. Well duh, how silly of me, not to intuitively understand what you meant to say, but didn't.

Maybe you know motorcycle suspension design (I'm not persuaded you are), but you have no ability to ask a comprehensible question.

Wow! Someone is on fire, today!

MOKE1K 08-21-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 191881)
From my own experiance Moto Crossing I know the temptation is to blame the bike if you're off the pace, specially when everyone else is doing it. About that time you've convinced yourself that's the problem the local shoe or someone else shows up on a box stock version of your bike and laps half the field.........

Though I have not ridden the latest GSXR nor have I done a track day in recent memory I can pretty safely say you must be megga-fast if you're using up all that a stock one has.

I have always agreed with this theory on going faster with nothing but a stock bike which she is. All I have is
gearing, bodywork, steel brakelines tires, and suspension front and rear. No exhaust or pc.

Probly just need to ride smarter and faster? But you are right I'll give you that on the stock box version thing. One way Iv grew into learning more is just keep learning to find the speed with what I have. Thanks!

pushrod 08-21-2008 08:59 AM

Moke,

My guess is that the extenders make for better track times because your wallet weighs less.

You figure; you could raise the front of the bike several mm's just by putting a bigger pre-load spacer in the tubes.

If it was me, I'd look at what the pro's use before I spent my money on something like that.

And as far as raising the bike as well - that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. Why would you want to raise the Cg? Ground clearance?

Since it seems important to you, I should add I'm not a racer. But Hey, physics is physics.

sachiwilson 08-21-2008 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 191904)
Wow bro your high strung I think thats why Iam asking these questions?, because in theory that I'v learned and my experience of racing for 10yrs tells me otherwise? Besides in my original post all I asked was about pricing and if anyone had 1st hand experience with these? Peopele have told me that use them, that it makes the bike feel like its turning in quicker regaurdless of geometry settings???

Theory you've learned, huh. Well, teach us.

As far as I can tell, you get fork extenders to raise the front end of the bike. That by itself would slow the steering down. So you also raise the rear end to quicken the steering back up. So, after this, what you have is a bike that sits higher than before, but with no other change to the geometry that I can see. How in heck will that improve the handling of a motorcycle? Teach us, from your knowledge of theory (and not anecdote, if you know what that is), how that will work.

Otherwise, I think you're buying into snake oil.

sarnali2 08-21-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 191912)
Theory you've learned, huh. Well, teach us.

As far as I can tell, you get fork extenders to raise the front end of the bike. That by itself would slow the steering down. So you also raise the rear end to quicken the steering back up. So, after this, what you have is a bike that sits higher than before, but with no other change to the geometry that I can see. How in heck will that improve the handling of a motorcycle? Teach us, from your knowledge of theory (and not anecdote, if you know what that is), how that will work.

Otherwise, I think you're buying into snake oil.

Jeezus Sachi rough night or what?? Ease up on the guy fer Chris'sake

MOKE1K 08-21-2008 10:51 AM

Why are you on such a high horse? I thought this is a forum where you can ask questions if your unsure. I dont claim to be a proffesional on suspension? This is why Iam asking?

Theory I learned? Yes the same theory you keep trying to pound into my head which Iv already agreed on and yes learned? The theory of lowering the bike and what that does to the turn in? Do we need to keep fighting about that? It seems to be the norm in geometry? Even you agreed on it, so why argue?(cause you have issues)

Besides your missing my 1st/2nd post when I stated only questions about 1st hand experience (which you have none?) and disscrepency in price. So why do you keep repeating what lowering a bike does? I told you Iv already learned that? You seem lonley, have you ever taken the 599/919 on a race track and been competitive in any roadracing organization? If so Ill listen but as far as your reponses I didnt hear you say anything about first hand experience with these, but hey apparently you need to argue with all the countless others running fork extenders on CCS/WERA grids all over the country. But you probly know way more than those who do it every weekend you must because your on motorcycle.com, I should have noticed that? Sorry to the lonley know it all:]:]
Please keep answering questions that I asked nothing about,....Iam sure you cant resist since your so knoledgable on fork extenders,.....

sachiwilson 08-21-2008 11:02 AM

I'm still waiting for you to explain how your theory works. You want to persuade me, do that. Otherwise I have no reason to change my belief that raising the bike (which is what you propose to do, no?) will have an adverse effect on the handling of the bike.

MOKE1K 08-21-2008 11:14 AM

See told ya you wouldnt stop! If ya didnt understand read above post again?

THE THEORY OF LOWERING A BIKE AND WHAT IT DOES TO THE TURN
IN,...HELLO,....HELLO,...its the same thing we been repeating to each other, thats my theory same as everyones? Your missunderstanding me.

THATS WHY IAM CONFUSED ABOUT THIS PRODUCT, EVERYTHING I'V LEARNED SAYS IT WILL NOT MAKE IT TURN QUICKER BUT SLOWER?

sachiwilson 08-21-2008 11:19 AM

:eyeroll:

Oh well.

seruzawa 08-21-2008 11:35 AM

The only way to tell if a suspension mod improves things is to time laps. If the mod results in faster laps then it's a good mod. If not then it's a bad mod. A bike can "feel" faster but actually "be" slower. Unless lap times can be proven to improve then opinions about mods are just that... opinions.