Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-25-2008, 09:57 PM   #31
jeepsterwannabe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Wouldn't you prefer to figger out what the issue is with your charging system and then fix it?

I use the bike everyday, when i got to the job I left the keys in the switch in the ON position for over 6 hours. thats what killed the battery. since the battery is 4 yrs old i figured i may as well change it.

not really wanting to add more electrical parts, just some kind of way to jump the battery easier.
jeepsterwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #32
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterwannabe View Post
not really wanting to add more electrical parts, just some kind of way to jump the battery easier.
Find some wire the same size as the wires leading from your battery. Solder a terminal that fits on the battery posts on one end of the wires. Lead the wires out from the battery to an exposed location. Solder a male butt connector (calm down) on each wire. Use the female side of the butt connector to insulate the wire end. Remove the female side to expose the wires for jumping. Use a velcro tie-wrap to hold the wires in place when not in use.

Or just push start the damn thing.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #33
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Find some wire the same size as the wires leading from your battery. Solder a terminal that fits on the battery posts on one end of the wires. Lead the wires out from the battery to an exposed location. Solder a male butt connector (calm down) on each wire. Use the female side of the butt connector to insulate the wire end. Remove the female side to expose the wires for jumping. Use a velcro tie-wrap to hold the wires in place when not in use.

Or just push start the damn thing.
If you know how to make a proper crimp in the connectors, they're more-likely to not fail - unless you're an "Electronics Tweaker" in your spare time, you likely won't be able to solder for shyte.

If you're a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy - crimp FIRST - THEN solder, and not the other way 'round - don't even tin the wire.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #34
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

A crimping tool is a must. You can find a decent one at Radio Shack.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #35
jeepsterwannabe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Solder a male butt connector (calm down) on each wire.

Or just push start the doggone thing.

So any good place to buy the male butt connector that would fit wire this large?

I need more hills for the push start thing....

Last edited by jeepsterwannabe : 10-04-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #36
mercenary
Registered Member

Woo! Another Jeeper! It's beau-coup, by the way Sorry, born and raised in N'awlins and couldn't resist. What mods do you have on your Jeep? I know, I know, this is a bike forum, but my Jeeper origins can't help but ask :P
mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #37
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

JB Weld. And duct tape.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #38
jeepsterwannabe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary View Post
Woo! Another Jeeper! It's beau-coup, by the way Sorry, born and raised in N'awlins and couldn't resist. What mods do you have on your Jeep? I know, I know, this is a bike forum, but my Jeeper origins can't help but ask :P

My jeep has met with its end recently, we T-boned a man's bass boat when they ran red light. most of my mods were home built. like roof racks, hi lift jack with home built bumper brackets, etc. was working on a light bar, had already swapped the alternator for higher outputs.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #39
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterwannabe View Post
My jeep has met with its end recently, we T-boned a man's bass boat when they ran red light. most of my mods were home built. like roof racks, hi lift jack with home built bumper brackets, etc. was working on a light bar, had already swapped the alternator for higher outputs.
I got a buddy that is into Jeeping. Nothing hard core (it still resemble a normal Jeep...with bigger tires), but he does all the mods and fabrication himself.

Nice Glock you got there in your Avatar. It looks like one of the subcompacts. How are the carry laws in Georgia?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #40
jeepsterwannabe
Registered Member

Carry laws here are pretty fair, they are pretty specific until you hit the part about no carry at a "public gathering" which is kinda left undefined. I typically carry everywhere though.