Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   Mods! Any D.I.Y. types here? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/9273-mods-any-d-i-y-types-here.html)

jeepsterwannabe 09-25-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 194322)
Wouldn't you prefer to figger out what the issue is with your charging system and then fix it?


I use the bike everyday, when i got to the job I left the keys in the switch in the ON position for over 6 hours. thats what killed the battery. since the battery is 4 yrs old i figured i may as well change it.

not really wanting to add more electrical parts, just some kind of way to jump the battery easier.

Kenneth_Moore 09-26-2008 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepsterwannabe (Post 194417)
not really wanting to add more electrical parts, just some kind of way to jump the battery easier.

Find some wire the same size as the wires leading from your battery. Solder a terminal that fits on the battery posts on one end of the wires. Lead the wires out from the battery to an exposed location. Solder a male butt connector (calm down) on each wire. Use the female side of the butt connector to insulate the wire end. Remove the female side to expose the wires for jumping. Use a velcro tie-wrap to hold the wires in place when not in use.

Or just push start the damn thing.

The_AirHawk 09-26-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 194430)
Find some wire the same size as the wires leading from your battery. Solder a terminal that fits on the battery posts on one end of the wires. Lead the wires out from the battery to an exposed location. Solder a male butt connector (calm down) on each wire. Use the female side of the butt connector to insulate the wire end. Remove the female side to expose the wires for jumping. Use a velcro tie-wrap to hold the wires in place when not in use.

Or just push start the damn thing.

If you know how to make a proper crimp in the connectors, they're more-likely to not fail - unless you're an "Electronics Tweaker" in your spare time, you likely won't be able to solder for shyte.

If you're a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy - crimp FIRST - THEN solder, and not the other way 'round - don't even tin the wire.

sachiwilson 09-26-2008 11:00 AM

A crimping tool is a must. You can find a decent one at Radio Shack.

jeepsterwannabe 10-04-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 194430)
Solder a male butt connector (calm down) on each wire.



Or just push start the doggone thing.


So any good place to buy the male butt connector that would fit wire this large?



I need more hills for the push start thing....

mercenary 10-04-2008 07:06 PM

Woo! Another Jeeper! It's beau-coup, by the way ;) Sorry, born and raised in N'awlins and couldn't resist. What mods do you have on your Jeep? I know, I know, this is a bike forum, but my Jeeper origins can't help but ask :P

mscuddy 10-04-2008 07:10 PM

JB Weld. And duct tape.

jeepsterwannabe 10-05-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercenary (Post 195171)
Woo! Another Jeeper! It's beau-coup, by the way ;) Sorry, born and raised in N'awlins and couldn't resist. What mods do you have on your Jeep? I know, I know, this is a bike forum, but my Jeeper origins can't help but ask :P


My jeep has met with its end recently, we T-boned a man's bass boat when they ran red light. most of my mods were home built. like roof racks, hi lift jack with home built bumper brackets, etc. was working on a light bar, had already swapped the alternator for higher outputs.

BrowningBAR 10-05-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepsterwannabe (Post 195233)
My jeep has met with its end recently, we T-boned a man's bass boat when they ran red light. most of my mods were home built. like roof racks, hi lift jack with home built bumper brackets, etc. was working on a light bar, had already swapped the alternator for higher outputs.

I got a buddy that is into Jeeping. Nothing hard core (it still resemble a normal Jeep...with bigger tires), but he does all the mods and fabrication himself.

Nice Glock you got there in your Avatar. It looks like one of the subcompacts. How are the carry laws in Georgia?

jeepsterwannabe 10-08-2008 09:07 PM

Carry laws here are pretty fair, they are pretty specific until you hit the part about no carry at a "public gathering" which is kinda left undefined. I typically carry everywhere though.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:06 AM.