Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 08-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #21
jeepsterwannabe
Registered Member

SO whats the difference in the types of plugs? any benefit of one over the other? My chargers fit cigarette type outlets.

I have only owned a bike for about 9 weeks and already added 8000 miles to the speedometer. My employment requires lots of commute time. Useful mods are more important to me, "cool factor" is not so important. I would like more luggage space. Honestly, I would like to consider a luggage trailer if i could find an attachment for my bike. But atleast larger bag, How do ya'll tie down bigger bags?

Also, a better horn, something that scares the poo out of offensive car driving types

Last edited by jeepsterwannabe : 08-22-2008 at 08:53 PM.
jeepsterwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #22
jeepsterwannabe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post

It's easy to farkle a 919. I have a 599, and you can see what I've done to mine here.
are those electronics you added rain/weather resistant?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #23
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterwannabe View Post
are those electronics you added rain/weather resistant?
Yes, they are.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #24
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
SO whats the difference in the types of plugs? any benefit of one over the other? My chargers fit cigarette type outlets.

I have only owned a bike for about 9 weeks and already added 8000 miles to the speedometer. My employment requires lots of commute time. Useful mods are more important to me, "cool factor" is not so important. I would like more luggage space. Honestly, I would like to consider a luggage trailer if i could find an attachment for my bike. But atleast larger bag, How do ya'll tie down bigger bags?

Also, a better horn, something that scares the poo out of offensive car driving types
Luggage space? You have to get one of these seat bags. I have the large and you can throw a medium sized child in that thing with room for the dog too. My buddy has the medium and to him its the bee's knee's after looking at mine. Not too pricey, secure, expandable and easy on off with a rain cover. Be careful on the stich site though, your wallet may be emptied really fast if your not careful. Order a roadcrafter while your at it, last suit you'll ever buy, well till the next one.

MotoFizz Camping Seat Bags (Small, Medium & Large) :: Seat & Rack Bags :: Seat Bags and Tail Bags :: Packing It In :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

In my large I had my laptop bag, weeks clothing, 3 pairs of size 15 shoes, my 3/4 First Gear Kilaminjaro jacket (as an option to my roadcrafter) Toiletries, winter gloves, first aid kit and a few other random items and still didnt have it expanded. So consider the Medium.

The Stebel Nautilus Air Horn from Pirates' Lair at 828.628.7093 EST

Louder horn and other goodies, Jerry runs a 1st class operation.

Last edited by 12er : 08-30-2008 at 03:23 PM.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #25
jeepsterwannabe
Registered Member

So, My battery was dead, after removing the entire right side of my bike i was able to jump it off with cables. I put it all back together and drove for about 20 minutes, cut it off and it wouldnt restart. this weekend i will replace the battery but while i hav e everything open i would like to add something to the battery cables that would allow me to connect to the battery without actual having to get all the way to the battery. a stand alone connection that would endure a jump start. any ideas? any tips? anything else i should do while i am in there?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
So, My battery was dead, after removing the entire right side of my bike i was able to jump it off with cables. I put it all back together and drove for about 20 minutes, cut it off and it wouldnt restart. this weekend i will replace the battery but while i hav e everything open i would like to add something to the battery cables that would allow me to connect to the battery without actual having to get all the way to the battery. a stand alone connection that would endure a jump start. any ideas? any tips? anything else i should do while i am in there?
You need to use pretty heavy wire.. at least as heavy as the +/- cables that connect to your battery.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:57 AM   #27
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
i would like to add something to the battery cables that would allow me to connect to the battery without actual having to get all the way to the battery. a stand alone connection that would endure a jump start. any ideas? any tips? anything else i should do while i am in there?
There is a popular fuse block system called "Blue Seas" that a lot of ADV riders use. You set it up once and then you can connect multiple 12vdc devices to it; each with it's own fuse and connection bus. It was made for boats, so it's waterproof. Available in fine marine stores everywhere.

ST Blade Fuse Blocks - Blue Sea Systems

Don't forget as you go off on your farkelfest, your bike has a finite quantity of electrical capacity. Find out how many amps your bike provides from it's charging system, then what's left over after headlights, FI, fuel pumps, etc. get their share. That's your power budget (remember Apollo 13? Got to stay within the amp limits or you burn up on re-entry).

Klazy Ken is collaborating with SachiWilson on a new seminar: I Farkel, You Farkel, He Farkel, She Farkel. Watch for upcoming dates in your area.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 09-25-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #28
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Wouldn't you prefer to figger out what the issue is with your charging system and then fix it?

It is VERY, VERY rare that a modern motorcycle charging system will allow a battery to die like that, without something seriously wrong. So, putting in wires to allow for a jump start is simply asinine; it will do nothing to solve the problem you have.

However, a battery can discharge if the bike is not used for a long time, and in that case the remedy is to keep the battery up to snuff with a trickle charger, such as a Battery Tender. How old is your battery? Do you ride the bike often? If the battery is new and good, then I'd recommend getting a Battery tender and attaching the supplied wires to your battery. They will allow you to charge the battery without taking off any bodywork.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #29
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
So, putting in wires to allow for a jump start is simply asinine.
We're going to have to brush up those "soft skills" a bit before the big seminar. See me before you leave today.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

For alla youse "dangling modifiers" that haven't yet seen it.......

FI light need help!!! : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote