Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 07-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
rallyvovo
Registered Member

Default 1997 YZF1000R help

Brief background: baught the bike on the cheap, had been layed down hard (very hard) and needed some fixes. 30k miles on bike. After fixing all the little things it needed to ride well (chain, sprockets, plugs, etc) and converting to an 02 R1 front end it ran great for probably 800 miles or so.

Symptoms:
-idle has always been rough and bike would die idling sometimes. If i set the idle up to ~2k using the adjust screw it seemed to be fine once warm.
-Suddenly one day while just riding the bike just dies. hardly sputtered. couldnt restard. when it did a couple minutes later it drove until i grabbed 2nd and it fell on its ass again.

-It will start up fine cold and run for upwards of 5 min and then die. I can get it to start again almost right away by power off and ign. off then back on and itll fire up. But then die shortly after.

-its been hard to diagnose, but the few times ive given it gas (not quite WOT) while limping it around it dies somewhere around 5-6k RPM.

I have replaced fuel filter, inspected carbs to some degree, cleaned fuel tank extensively, used some BG 44k fuel cleaner, changed fuel, and spark plugs are almost brand new.

My suspicion is the ignition system but im new to bikes. It has two coils i know, so i doubt a coil is bad or just 2 cylinders would stop running rather than all 4 at once. Ignition computer? Seems related to the bike warming up, but it starts almost as well when it dies while warm and i reboot it. Any suggestions would be awesome. Sorry to make this so long, but im just tryin to get all the info i can out there!

thanks!

PS i called a local shop to run some symptoms by them and he said it was FOR SURE not the stator? this true?
rallyvovo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Sounds to me that your carbs are clogged with gummy old fuel. You'll need to clean them out really well before the bike will run properly.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Take it to a professional pay them to just diagnose everthing and complete an estimate before you pay to fix it. That way you'll know what your in for, expense wise.

Diagnosing online is sometimes totally impossible we can give you clues but theres no way to really tell if thats the fix,... on line!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
MOKE1K
Registered Member

1.ignition
2.compression
3.spark
4.fuel
5.timing
Old 07-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

6. As the shop said - it is NOT the Stator - that's your alternator, and the bike would continue running for a long time after that died - you just wouldn't be able to crank it over, and wouldn't have any lights but dim ones.......

(just to clarify)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
Schoon
Founding Member

Could it be the EXUP stuck shut?
Schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
rallyvovo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoon View Post
Could it be the EXUP stuck shut?
whats the exactly? part of the carb?

I know from my car knowledge that ignition module get hot and can fail quite often and this seems like it could be a symptom of a bad module....does the bike even have one though? bad ignition computer?

thanks for the input guys!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyvovo View Post
whats the exactly? part of the carb?

I know from my car knowledge that ignition module get hot and can fail quite often and this seems like it could be a symptom of a bad module....does the bike even have one though? bad ignition computer?

thanks for the input guys!
The EXUP is a valve in the exhaust collector that increases throttle-response and torque at low RPM when it's closed, and opens to increase HP at high RPM. If it's "stuck closed", it might restrict the engine enough that it won't rev willingly over 6000-7000 RPM. That shouldn't "kill" the engine - however, if the engine is in a poor state of tune, it might restrict it enough to cause these symptoms.

This is the part where we tell you to either:

a). Buy yourself a manual if you plan on doing any further work on this bike yourself.

b). Seek Professional Help. And I don't mean Doktor Sigmoid Fraud.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
Schoon
Founding Member

Yes it's an exhaust valve, You also might try EXUP Worldwide :: Index and ask some of them. Don't give up it is an awesome bike. Of course i am Biased.
Schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
rallyvovo
Registered Member

new symptoms.

i manned up and rode it home 25 miles from work. made it all the way without dying!

i did this by keeping the RPMS bellow 3-4k. the moment i got to my home street i wound it up a touch above that and it fell on its ass as usual. I realized too that part of the restarting issue came from giving it a rev as it started after dying but revving it above say 4k and it consequently dying right away.

Doubt fuel has anything to do with this specific. Thinking ignition trigger (something like a crank trigger?)...not sure the bike uses.