Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 07-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #21
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
You do realize the deaths that occur everyday with motorcyclist right? Some of these fatalities are with riders who have been riding for more than 10yrs,...do you get where our smart ass comments come from?
Two dead this weekend in Northwest AR - one happened Saturday, in an intersection I pass through regularly - Classic Left-turning car violated rider's Right of Way - then the pickup following behind him ran him over.

Quote:
Heres an example, Norifumi Abe probly doesnt mean a whole lot to you but let me tell you a true story. He was a racer that came into Grand Prix racing years ago and after he retired he still raced and tested for Factory Japan Yamaha,...he recently died on the street being hit by a truck? A Factory Yamaha test rider,...DEAD!
What was Nori riding? A Yamaha SCOOTER, Dude! And he had gear on! The man could handle a 200hp+ MotoGP bike like it was a toy! And I don't doubt for a moment that he respected what even that scooter could do to him - but sometimes, things happen.

Quote:
The reason why so many on here are so harsh is because weve seen this many times and people like you usually get lucky and get in one accident and give it up before they really do some damage, like become paralized or worse,...
fsuftballstud43, ask mscuddy about what happened to him - the man could probably ride circles around most-everyone that chimed-in on this thread - most certainly myself. I get pyssed whenever I think about it.

I also have two good friends that are missing their right arms - both nearly were killed by the cager turning-left into their path (within a few months of one-another!), and neither were Hoonin' around. BOTH were wearing gear (as was cuddy), probably the only thing that saved their lives.

mscuddy and Mark were well-experienced riders, Bret was fairly new to riding, but was already starting a promising Racing career.

If something happens to you on your CBR - it WILL change your life, and probably not for the better.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2008, 06:58 AM   #22
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Your best bet is going to be to pay the money for an oil change. You most likely don't have away of containing and disposing of the used oil nor anywhere to store tools or actually perform the work assuming you figure out how. I'd just go every 5k miles and get the oil and filter changed. As far as gear goes a pair of stout boots and jeans is minimum, regular riding pants is better. some kind of armored textile or leather coat and thick gloves and a full face helmet should do it.

Then what you need to do is practice as much as you can, find a deserted road or parking lot and work on braking first, start slow and build up speed and until you can panic stop from 40 or 50 with confidance. This is whats going to save your bacon, you have to be able to control your bike in braking and swerving because that's where the threat comes from form other drivers.

As far as general riding, cornering and situational awareness, that's something you learn with experiance. Take your time and practice as much as you can but take the time to just enjoy riding too, it's a fun way of getting around, just be aware of and try to minimize the danger by wearing proper gear and paying attention to your surroundings.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #23
fsuftballstud43
Registered Member

Wow, those past two responses were absolutely wonderful!! Thank you, very helpful!

I understand the danger of riding a bike, and this is why I am on this forum asking you veterans for advice! Instead of degrading a new rider for asking a question that may seem stupid, you might just explain to him why it is... Thanks again for the last two posts, truly helpful!

I am going to buy a riding jacket soon, but I won't have money for the pants quite yet. I will be riding in jeans every time though! And I did buy a SNELL helmet for $400, so I'm not a complete moron. Thanks a lot!
fsuftballstud43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #24
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsuftballstud43 View Post
Wow, those past two responses were absolutely wonderful!! Thank you, very helpful!

I understand the danger of riding a bike, and this is why I am on this forum asking you veterans for advice! Instead of degrading a new rider for asking a question that may seem stupid, you might just explain to him why it is... Thanks again for the last two posts, truly helpful!

I am going to buy a riding jacket soon, but I won't have money for the pants quite yet. I will be riding in jeans every time though! And I did buy a SNELL helmet for $400, so I'm not a complete moron. Thanks a lot!
Get a pair of Draggin' jeans off the aerostich site at least. They are under $100 and will save some hide. Jeans are good for 5mph or less, then its skin muscle and bone.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #25
fsuftballstud43
Registered Member

What kind of pants do you recommend me purchase? I want something "stylish"...I realize I will get some ridicule for posting this, but I want to look good when I ride haha!
fsuftballstud43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsuftballstud43 View Post
What kind of pants do you recommend me purchase? I want something "stylish"...I realize I will get some ridicule for posting this, but I want to look good when I ride haha!
Icon makes some pretty groovy pants.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #27
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Draggin' Jeans are probably the most "stylish" protection you can get. As 12er said, regular jeans are just about useless.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #28
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

What I do is wear my Aerostitch pants with a pair of cargo shorts under them and throw my crocs in the saddlebag or tank bag. When I get where I'm going I take off my riding pants boots and socks and slip my crocs or work boots on and I'm good to go. Of course it's a lot easier if you have locking saddle bags or a top case and you may get some looks dropping your laundry or walking around in boots and shorts but you know, screw 'em if they can't take a joke..

Motorcycling is fun, if you get too wrapped up in worrying about getting hurt you'll eventually get tired of it. Just think about what you'll be doing and where you'll be going and dress accordingly, I definatly lean towards gearing up but don't get so anal about it you can't even sit on the bike w/o full gear.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 07-29-2008 at 01:01 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #29
MOKE1K
Registered Member

See that wasnt so hard, Good luck bro. (only the last two post huh?)
Old 08-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #30
pushrod
Founding Member

fsu-dood,

Assuming you are, in fact, in the Sunshine (as in, Jeez! It's freakin' HOT) State, I'd advise you start by buying a ventilated jacket, like the Joe Rocket Phoenix. I'm on the coast, and I wear mine every time I'm on the bike. Traffic lights are still brutal, but that's the price of admission.

I don't wear armored trousers. I have too many reasons, and have decided to accept the risk.

This site is populated with a cast of characters. If you ask a reasonable question, you'll get a lot of good information.

However, if you ask one like, "Do I need to change oil?" in a high performance motorcycle, stand by for some grief.

And, just a note, but it appears that 'mscuddy' has just sampled some of his latest batch of hootch, judging by his posts in this thread.

Go 'Noles!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote