Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 07-27-2008, 08:25 PM   #11
fsuftballstud43
Registered Member

wow, you guys are ruthless!!!
this is my very first bike, i'm new to everything!

i realize its best to wear "proper" gear to ride, but i'm a college student, and I wont be wearing leather body armor every day!!

For the oil changes, I am going to do them myself...should I add some type of liquid inbetween the oil change to sort of "clear out" the old oil before putting the new oil in??? what if I don't have an oil filter wrench, will a hand tighten be adequate enough?
fsuftballstud43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #12
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Say, do you go to school somewhere? If so, where? Do you play any sports? If so, which one(s)? Do you consider yourself good at any sport?

Anyway...sell the bike. Tomorrow. Some of the people here post news articles about riders getting creamed for any number of reasons. Ken is head of our Florida Bureau and he has enough to do already. Don't say you weren't warned.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsuftballstud43 View Post

i realize its best to wear "proper" gear to ride, but i'm a college student, and I wont be wearing leather body armor every day!!

For the oil changes, I am going to do them myself...should I add some type of liquid inbetween the oil change to sort of "clear out" the old oil before putting the new oil in??? what if I don't have an oil filter wrench, will a hand tighten be adequate enough?
Change the oil/filter every 3K miles and you'll never go wrong.

I don't care what that moonshiner mscuddy says. Get a manual, a Clymer is good enough for most tasks, and you'll learn to do all the routine maintenance properly.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #14
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:

Then don't ride. You're new, on a bike that is more powerful than you can handle, and you don't have a clue how to deal with risk on the bike.

Get a bicycle, or take the bus. Sell the bike unless you want to take it seriously.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #15
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

To clean out the old oil and stuff like microbes and dandruff, use Aqua Velva Ice Blue. No, you should torque that oil filter down to about 150 ft. lbs. so it don't leak none.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
There, fixed it for ya.
I thought I had implied that clearly-enough. Guess not?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:27 PM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:

Then buy a bicycle. They have a word for guys like you that don't realize the utter Danger they're placing themselves in by throwing a leg across the saddle of a SuperSport as their "beginner" bike: STATISTIC.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #18
fsuftballstud43
Registered Member

To everyone that is actually helping me out, thank you!!

For all you losers insulting a beginning rider, I'm so sorry that I am not a professional mechanic/rider like you all, I aspire to become like you one day...except, I won't be a complete jackass to beginners.
fsuftballstud43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #19
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

We're not being jackasses. We're telling you that you have a complete lack of understanding of what it takes to ride safely. Learn or die.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #20
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I think what everyone is trying to say in a funny but rude way is that you are getting into something and dont truly understand the consequence or the danger. First, you wear gear "ALWAYS",...PERIOD!

We have a saying in my click it goes like this "if its too hot to wear gear, its too hot to ride. No excuses,...ever!!! Thats if you like living and or havent experienced roadrash yet.

You do realize the deaths that occur everyday with motorcyclist right? Some of these fatalities are with riders who have been riding for more than 10yrs,...do you get where our smart ass comments come from?

Heres an example, Norifumi Abe probly doesnt mean a whole lot to you but let me tell you a true story. He was a racer that came into Grand Prix racing years ago and after he retired he still raced and tested for Factory Japan Yamaha,...he recently died on the street being hit by a truck? A Factory Yamaha test rider,...DEAD!(scooter or not)

My point is he had more talent in his left pinky then you'll maybe ever have in your whole life. If he got killed with all that experience what do you think your chances are when you wear shorts????
Listen we know your new but when you come on here and write some of the questions most of our patients and hearing your comments fall on hularious ears meaning you sound like your going to be dead in a couple of months.

The reason why so many on here are so harsh is because weve seen this many times and people like you usually get lucky and get in one accident and give it up before they really do some damage, like become paralized or worse,...dead.

Unless you can see into the future wear your gear alwyas cause the secound you dont expect it, you'll be there,...lying in the street. I work as a salesman at a motorcycle shop Iv been riding since I was 19 and racing on and off since 1989. Iv worked as a technician since
1990 and I'll be forty this year.

Even with that little experience its no garantee I can get creemed tommorro.(knock on wood)

On the maintanence tip pay the money cause 70 bucks is cheaper than you messing something up because you did it wrong and at min.jacked your bike up and now looking at a min of 2000.00 to replace your top end cause you seized it or something stupid like that.

If you need advice I'll give it just private message me. Ill give you a straight answer, but tread lightly when your talking to all these experienced riders. Think before you ask questions. Good luck!

Last edited by MOKE1K : 07-29-2008 at 06:25 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote