Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 07-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Maddogcz75c
Registered Member

Default 1997 yamaha virago

hey guys i have a 1997 yamaha virago and ive taken the carbs apart and cleaned them 2 times i checked the diaphrams and there are no cracks i know a needle is slightly bent not sure if this is my problem though but when i start the bike up after cleaning the carbs it just stays on high with the choke up and the rpms bounce up and down high and low with the choke on when i turn the choke off the motorcycle dies ive posted on here before and they said to clean the jets with some wire or somethig ive done that second time now and the damn bike is still doin the same crap i dont know what to do i wanna fix it bad please someone help thanx in return
Maddogcz75c is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Does it have real chokes or does it use mixture enrichening circuits? Bikes with mixture enrichening circuits can experience all kinds of problems if the lever that actuates the circuit does not close completely. Even a tiny bit of tension can cause the bike to die. The "choke" lever on the carbs must close positively. These types of carbs do not have choke plates that are connected to the cable.

If you have actual chokes then there could be an air leak somewhere.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Maddogcz75c
Registered Member

i dont think it has mixture enriching circuits
Maddogcz75c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Run over to the local parts store and get a can of starting spray. It's basically ether. Get the bike running and blast some spray around the intakes. If the bike responds by speeding up when you spray, it's sucking air and you need to fix that. If it doesn't spray a rag with the fluid and hold it over your mouth and nose till you pass out. It won't fix the bike, but you won't give a ****.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Dump the carbs and go to your local bike salvage yard and get some new-used ones. Bent needles on the carb slide are an indicator they're shot. Also, air leaks air leaks air leaks. Did I mention air leaks?