Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   Motorcycle Powered Gokart - Help! (Honda CB400) (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/8778-motorcycle-powered-gokart-help-honda-cb400.html)

keons5 07-09-2008 05:18 PM

I adjusted the floats so they will close a little sooner, but not too much sooner.

Here are the tests I've done.

With the carburetors off of the engine and the bowls off of the carburetors I hooked up the gas. I can stop fuel flow by pressing the float up with mere pressure. From that, I am assuming the needle is good.

I took the floats off and put them in a container of gas. After several minutes, they remained very buoyant. The floats appear to be good.

I put the bowls back on, and with the carburetors still off of the engine I hooked up the gas. The gas fills both bowls and continues flowing out both carburetors.

I really need some help here guys! Why both cylinders? I am thinking it is something other than the floats. What is the chance that suddenly both floats/needles are bad? I'm going to go study the diagrams more and try to figure it out. Thanks

Anyone have any ideas?

sfcdjevans 07-09-2008 05:55 PM

The needles and the seats are good. The floats float. So all the components seem to perform their tasks seperately but not together. So it's got to be something related to the assembly. Is there something that could be causing a "binding" of the pivot point for the floats? Or a gasket that when installed prevents the floats from rising up?

I have to go and reread this. Sorry.

keons5 07-09-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfcdjevans (Post 188750)
The needles and the seats are good. The floats float. So all the components seem to perform their tasks seperately but not together. So it's got to be something related to the assembly. Is there something that could be causing a "binding" of the pivot point for the floats? Or a gasket that when installed prevents the floats from rising up?

I don't see anything like that. I did some more messing around and it has either got to be some sort of overflow or the floats not closing. It leaks quickly.

Edit: Does anyone know how I can look up what type of carburetor it is? I know it is a Keihin, but I do not know the model number.

sfcdjevans 07-09-2008 06:41 PM

keihin carburetor - Google Search

Search and you shall find!

To Google[or insert your favorite search engine] or not, that is the question!

keons5 07-09-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfcdjevans (Post 188766)
keihin carburetor - Google Search

Search and you shall find!

To Google[or insert your favorite search engine] or not, that is the question!

Haha, Yeah I've done that a ton of times already. Well, I'm calling it a night. I might drop by a motorcycle shop tomorrow and see what they can tell me for no cost. I really needed this kart going in two days. I wanted to put it in a show and try to sell it there.

sfcdjevans 08-16-2008 01:40 PM

Thanks for playing "Stump the Chumps!"

So what happened? Was the problem resolved and if so how?

modchris 09-03-2011 07:48 PM

What did u use for a jackshaft? i have one of these but im having problems with the drive train im using a homemade jackshaft thats not workin that great

Abegail 09-07-2011 11:59 PM

Go-kart+GL500 engine, Let the ressurection begin!

Im going to give a little back story on this bad boy. It started out my sister and i wanted a go-kart. My father being the awesomely cheap, and very good at engineering decided it would be cheaper to build one. The total cost of this back in the mid 90's was $500 including the GL500 Honda engine that only had 75 miles on it. Its a full boxed in tubular frame with double A arm suspension in the front, and a Renault rear drive train of some sorts. The coils for it are off some unknown motor bike but are a bit soft imo. Pictures down below!

Motorcycle Jackets