Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 07-06-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
twoloosebricks
Registered Member

Default goldwing steering problems

I've recently purchased a 1984 goldwing aspencade and when you go into a curve it gets real hard to handle. I've had the front seals replaced that were leaking thinking that would help and also replaced the steering bearings. Most of the ride is great except on sharp curves then you really got to fight it. Is this something thats normal on the goldwings because of there weight?
twoloosebricks is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2008, 04:59 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

I've got an '81 and it has no particular handling issues, except for being a pig. Are your tires inflated properly? Are your front and rear suspension pressures correct? I'm using Dunlop Elites.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
twoloosebricks
Registered Member

The tires are new Dunlop and the front is at 36 lbs and rear is 40lbs. The onboard air compressor does not work still haven't been able to figure out whats wrong with it. Could the compressor not working cause this problem? Thanks in advance for any and all help
Old 07-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

When you mean "hard to handle" does tham imply the steering tightens up? The bike wants to high-side? Low-side? Go straight? Old 'Wings were noted for their tendancy to stand up in a tight corner, due to inherent questionable fork-rake-trail settings that were designed by some Japanese guy who thought choppers had the same rake as a short track bike, so please be more specific.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoloosebricks View Post
The tires are new Dunlop and the front is at 36 lbs and rear is 40lbs. The onboard air compressor does not work still haven't been able to figure out whats wrong with it. Could the compressor not working cause this problem? Thanks in advance for any and all help
If your compressor isn't working, then it's reasonable to assume that your air suspension is completely flat. That would trash the handling. You may have an option to manually fill the air suspension, but don't do it with a compressor if you do; use a bicycle pump or a similar low-pressure device, else you can damage or destroy the suspension.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Detach the trailer.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
bbtowns
Founding Member

Some more information on the handling problems would be helpful. Definitely check out the suspension as Ken says. Was the steering head properly torqued when the bearings were replaced?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
twoloosebricks
Registered Member

It wants to go staight and you have to fight it to keep in the curve.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

If the phorks are collapsed due to no air pressure that'll cause it to handle like shyte in a corner. Also in a straight line, over jumps, through high berms and over whoop-de-doos.