Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   Honda Nighthawk 250 problem....HELP!!!!!! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/8762-honda-nighthawk-250-problem-help.html)

kidrockcassie 07-06-2008 12:41 PM

Honda Nighthawk 250 problem....HELP!!!!!!

So, the friction pads on my 250 Nighthawk went bad and I switched 'em out, no problem, but now, I can't get it to shift up. It went down into first, but it won't go back up into neutral or any other gear. I'm thinking I just knocked something and pissed off the transmission, but IDK. Anybody know what I did?

mscuddy 07-06-2008 06:11 PM

Behind the clutch basket is something called the "shift cam actuator" that hooks to the shift lever. It's held on the top of the shift cam with a couple of lighweight springs, one on the actuaror arm, and one on the "finger" of the actuator that actually touches the top of the shift-cam, that goes into a groove that impinges on two (2) short rods in the groove of the shift cam, that moves the cam clockwise, or counter-clockwise for upshifts and downshifts. Check to see that you didn't prang the actuator, or knock one of the springs off the assembly. Buy a manual and you'll see a nice picture of it before you go tearing the engine apart.

Kenneth_Moore 07-06-2008 07:06 PM

For the Manual Impaired

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 188512)
Buy a manual and you'll see a nice picture of it before you go tearing the engine apart.

Here's a little "cheat" if you can't get the manual easily: go to Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories by BikeBandit.com and use the search function to call up your make, model, and year of bike. Then select the online "fiche" for the subsystem you're working on. You will almost always fine an "exploded" diagram of the subsystem, which can be very helpful to reassemble the parts correctly. I used this trick frequently on my old Concours until I got the Chilton manual. BTW: bikebandit isn't the only site that's put the manufacturers parts fiches (fishys? how the hell do you spell fiche anyway?) online.

bbtowns 07-07-2008 09:06 AM

I'd check to make sure the shift lever is actually tight and doing what it is supposed to. I'm thinking the brake pads are just a distraction, and you've got a shift lever that's slipping.

sachiwilson 07-07-2008 10:24 AM

I think Cassie meant the friction pads or plates in the clutch, bb.

bbtowns 07-10-2008 08:25 AM

Ahhhhhh

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 188556)
I think Cassie meant the friction pads or plates in the clutch, bb.

Ahhh, that didn't occur to me. I usually use the term plates or discs. My brit friend calls his brake pads friction pads, but he doesn't even change them himself, so I shouldn't use him for reference.

Kenneth_Moore 07-10-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbtowns (Post 188809)
Ahhh, that didn't occur to me. I usually use the term plates or discs. My brit friend calls his brake pads friction pads, but he doesn't even change them himself, so I shouldn't use him for reference.

"Friction Pads?" Sounds like something you put on your dog to keep him from scratching his ass on your carpet by dragging himself along with his front legs. My Mom had a Chihuahua (I can' spell it and I don't care) that did that. Damn thing would slide 20-30' across the living room, it's stupid little jaw quiving in ecstacy the whole way. I hate Chihuahuas.