Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-25-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
mike616
Registered Member

Post 1998 1200C Sportster

I went to start the bike,and had a semi loud noise from the starter,then the teeth would'nt catch,and then it did,SO the question being,is it hard to change out,or any spec. tools needed to replace the starter,or maybe it just jump some teeth? Thanks:
mike616 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2008, 05:57 AM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Was the loud noise a grinding sound? If so, your starter solenoid wasn't pushing the starter gears together well enough for them to engage. The typical cause for this is a mildly dead battery. Check your battery charge; if it's low, get a battery tender to top it up.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
mike616
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Was the loud noise a grinding sound? If so, your starter solenoid wasn't pushing the starter gears together well enough for them to engage. The typical cause for this is a mildly dead battery. Check your battery charge; if it's low, get a battery tender to top it up.
Ken,thanks for the info,BUT not a good place for Quote from him..
Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

+1

Check the connections to both the battery and the starter.

If the battery is more than three years old, consider buying another. Stick to good batteries, like Odyssey, Yuasa, Harley (which I believe are supplied by Yuasa), maybe Interstate.

The worst thing you can do to a battey is place it in a hot environment.. Well, maybe you could also subject it to vibration.

However, at the end of the day (as Ken said), they do that sometimes.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

AAARGH!

What's eith the goofy 'posting engine', or whatever you call it? My post above was timestamped an hour ago, and the forum pasted it in order. Which of course means I quoted Ken before he posted.

Saying that, this post will probably be ok.

Posting at 11:57 Central.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike616 View Post
Ken,thanks for the info,BUT not a good place for Quote from him..Im looking for a right nut,NOT a Left wing NUT
Get used to it Pal. I'm the site's token Negro-wannabe Left Wing Bleeding Heart Liberal with hetro/homasexyull confusion. If that's not enough I have a secret identity that only comes out after particulary strong doses of "medication." Look at this way, I make Barack seem pretty conservative.

You wouldn't happen to be Whitey, would you?
Old 06-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

My pal Christine's Sporty does exactly what you described every 10th or so start. She's taken it to the shop a few times and it will never do it when the mech is looking at it. I suspect there is a spacer that isn't perfectly placed, or maybe a slightly flawed solenoid. Either way, she'll hit the button the second time and off it goes. It is sort of embarassing for me, as the people standing around watching try to figure out what an awesome bike like the VStrom is doing riding around with an antiquated POS XL. One thing I will say, the XL engine and drive train will take endless abuse, so if it only happens from time to time, forget about it and ride on.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
mike616
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Ken,thanks for the info,BUT not a good place for Quote from him..Im looking for a right nut,NOT a Left wing NUT