Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Piston won't fit

i fould this piston in my garage, and tried to fit it in my 1981 RM125 but it won't go into the hole in the cylinder. I hit it a few times with a big ball peen hammer, but it didn't budge. Can someone tell me what size piston I should get? The one I found in the garage looked like it wood fit, but I dont know becuase it had GMC on the underside of the pistom. Also, my breaks dont work and I was tryint to bleed them with this auto-suck think my big bro had in his van, but the holes way to big to fit on the master clinder. Please help, I need to ride nest week at the local MX race for ap history students,

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

The Cuddy Distillery had a new batch today, I see.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Looks like YOU need a BIGGER HAMMER. The "GMC" stands for "General Motorcycle Cross-reference", and like pototoes through a fry-maker, must be "trimmed" to fit whatever moto you're going to use it in.

If after three or four hours of pounding, it still doesn't fit - you might try a little HEAT. Getcherself out yer Oxy-Acetylene rig, and rummage-around in the bottom of yer toolbox 'til you find yer #18 Rosebud.

Set the Oxy working-pressure to about 275psi, and the Acetylene to about 53 (don't worry none 'bout that "red line" after the 15psi mark - it's just there for wussies).

If'n it all don't blow up in yer face when you light it off (or even if it does, but you survive it but lose all your facial hair), direct the flame gently over the jammed-in-place replacement-piston for three or four seconds or until everything starts to glow cherry-red, whichever comes first.

Immediately toss-down the lit rosebud in any nearby puddle of oil or pile of wood-shavings, or just lay it across the hood of yer Buddies classic 'Vette (you might need that sucker again in a minute, and you 'member what happened when you lit it LAST time......), then grab-up yer 25lb splittin' maul and give that piston a big-ol' kawollopin'. Shouldn't have to hit it more'n twice. Watch out fer the "smashed bug" effect as molten piston comes-a-sailin' out'n of the edges of the cylinder when you deal-out that kawollopin'.

Yer custom-fit piston is now ready to place the entire assembly in a vat of sulphuric-acid for three or four weeks, then get yerself down to th' local Harley dealer an' buy yerself a REAL damn motorsickle.....................
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
The Cuddy Distillery had a new batch today, I see.
What makes you say that?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

No no no...don't use a torch, you'll burn all the paint off the barrel...all you need is some blue dykem around the top of the cylinder. Place the piston upside down and grind it in good, the dykem will leave a blue ring, just use your grinder and shave off the excess metal. Be carefull though, if it's an alooominum piston it will screw up your grinding wheel so if possible do it at work or borrow the neighbors grinder. Don't forget to trim the rings with your wirecutter so they match the new bore and while you're at it, run your angle grinder up and down the bore a few times to get a nice cross hatch going.

Bleeding the brakes is easy, fill up the master cylinder with whatever brake fluid is handy. Don't worry about the DOT numbers it's all the same stuff, they just put those on there so they can charge you more....squeeze the brakes a few times then open the bleeder with some vice grips, don't look down the hole to see if any fluid is coming out just try to aim it out the garage door, that way you won't have to clean it up when you're done. When you get enough pressure up to hit the side of the neighbors car you should be good. Stick some JB Weld on the bleed screw so it don't leak and off you go, crack a few brewskies to congradulate yourself on a job well done then go crank out a few dozen break-in miles in 1st and 2nd gear.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
bbtowns
Founding Member

See now the problem with your brakes is your using them, that's probably why you're not so fast at the track son. Leave the air in the lines and it'll take away the temptation to go slower all the time.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Thanks guys, not what do I do with all the extra parts? I've got this ltlle round thing with all these pins in it, and a couple of wire clips that look like they fit in a groove someware. Also, when I try to kick RM over it makes this kinda "chugga-kling-clank-chugga" sound. Then it goes "WFFFFFFFFFFF!" when I tried to use the quick start. What did I do wrong? I really need this bike for my paper route, and the big AP History race next weekend.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL
Default Piston Won't Fit??

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!!
Can't believe nobody jumped on that yet.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member

I think you need to squirt about a half cup of ether* down the carb, then try to kick her over again.

Sumthin' is bound to happen!

(Or, you might substitute Matthew C's Paint Remover/Parts Cleaner/Acne Treatment/Tapeworm Remedy/Mouthwash(TM)!)

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
acecycleins
Founding Member

You just need some 40wt oil and ballbearings. It's all ballbearing these days. Be right back- gotta get 'em out of the truck.