Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Tom Perry
Registered Member

Question Honda Cb 500 Four

I have a 1973' Honda CB 500 four, The other day I got home from a ride and oil was dripping out of the left side case, not a small drip it puddeled up quickly. I pop off the caseand about 1/2 quart dumps. I thought it was the the shift shaft seal so I replaced it - No such luck. My question is - is the oil pump area should there be oil there? The pump connects and appears to flow through the pump which is swaled off from the area. There was no gasket on the case so I assumed the area behind the left side case was dry? Any direction is welcome the shop manual talks about install and removal of the pump but nothing else. Thank anyone in advance that can educate me.

Regards,

Tom Perry
t21122@yahoo.com
Tom Perry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Tom Perry
Registered Member

Question Cb 500

Wet sump ? That is my question, Crank seal? where is that behind the the oil pump, and if it is it a easy fix or does the motor need to be torn appart?

Thanks!
Tom Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Is the 500 wet sump? I think that should be a dry case, because that's the side where the alternator resides, right? Sounds like a crankshaft seal might be blown...that or rodents have infested the cases. Call an exterminator.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Wet sump means the oil is stored in the crankcase, dry sump means it's in an oil tank (like the first 750 4 Hondas). A crankshaft seal goes on the crankshaft, behind the alternator rotor on the left side of the motor. Alternator rotor, left side of the motor? La dee daa...hey that rhymes...

Most likely if you took the left side case off, and a bunch of oil blooted out all over the ground, you've got a blown seal. The oil pump on your bike is in the middle of the motor, driven off the spin dart sprag, that's hooked to the no.1 planetary drive pinion nut-gear. If you remove the sprag and CAREFULLY twist the spin dart in a counter-clockwise direction, while at the same time inserting Honda tool P/N 001856-13-0019 into the slot behind the pinion nut, forcing out the trundle pin-bushing pinion you should be able to insert a new waffle spring gasket groove spanner, that holds the wiffle-spring against the nut job.

Got that?
Old 06-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

This bike is garbage, you might as well sell it for scrap. I can give you $500 cash. Where should I pick it up?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
mwierm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Perry View Post
I have a 1973' Honda CB 500 four, The other day I got home from a ride and oil was dripping out of the left side case, not a small drip it puddeled up quickly. I pop off the caseand about 1/2 quart dumps. I thought it was the the shift shaft seal so I replaced it - No such luck. My question is - is the oil pump area should there be oil there? The pump connects and appears to flow through the pump which is swaled off from the area. There was no gasket on the case so I assumed the area behind the left side case was dry? Any direction is welcome the shop manual talks about install and removal of the pump but nothing else. Thank anyone in advance that can educate me.

Regards,

Tom Perry
t21122@yahoo.com

Hey, did you ever figure out where your oil leak was coming from? I've got a 76 CB550 that leaks oil from the left side as well. It's coming from the case because the PO had an O-ring chain instead of a standard chain on the bike. This caused the chain to wear a groove into the motor and allowed oil to seep out. I'm going to JB weld it to try and dry it up. That should do the trick.

1976 Honda CB550 Rebuild
mwierm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
This bike is garbage, you might as well sell it for scrap. I can give you $500 cash. Where should I pick it up?

Do you have a $500 bike fetish?
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwierm View Post
Hey, did you ever figure out where your oil leak was coming from? I've got a 76 CB550 that leaks oil from the left side as well. It's coming from the case because the PO had an O-ring chain instead of a standard chain on the bike. This caused the chain to wear a groove into the motor and allowed oil to seep out. I'm going to JB weld it to try and dry it up. That should do the trick.

1976 Honda CB550 Rebuild
I don't see how an O-ring chain could do this vs. using a standard chain.

The only difference between the two types is; one has elastomer rings to keep the lubricant inside the pins and sleeves, the other is "open" and allows any lubricant to be easily worked from the bearing-surfaces and grit and dirt to work in, and MUST be oiled every few-hundred miles, or it "dies" a lonely death..........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I don't see how an O-ring chain could do this vs. using a standard chain.

The only difference between the two types is; one has elastomer rings to keep the lubricant inside the pins and sleeves, the other is "open" and allows any lubricant to be easily worked from the bearing-surfaces and grit and dirt to work in, and MUST be oiled every few-hundred miles, or it "dies" a lonely death..........
The o-ring chains have a wider overall dimension than the chains available when the CB was built.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Wet sump means the oil is stored in the crankcase, dry sump means it's in an oil tank (like the first 750 4 Hondas). A crankshaft seal goes on the crankshaft, behind the alternator rotor on the left side of the motor. Alternator rotor, left side of the motor? La dee daa...hey that rhymes...

Most likely if you took the left side case off, and a bunch of oil blooted out all over the ground, you've got a blown seal. The oil pump on your bike is in the middle of the motor, driven off the spin dart sprag, that's hooked to the no.1 planetary drive pinion nut-gear. If you remove the sprag and CAREFULLY twist the spin dart in a counter-clockwise direction, while at the same time inserting Honda tool P/N 001856-13-0019 into the slot behind the pinion nut, forcing out the trundle pin-bushing pinion you should be able to insert a new waffle spring gasket groove spanner, that holds the wiffle-spring against the nut job.

Got that?

When I inserted the Honda tool a little spring and a ball bearing fell out, now I can't find them. Do they need to be in there or can I just stick a lockwasher on the shaft?

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote