Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
michmike
Registered Member

Default Oil change on yamaha v-star 650 (2005 model)

hey guys,

i was wondering if someone can provide any helpfull instructions on how to change the oil and the filter on a 2005 v-star 650. I had done an oil change with a honda before, but the yamaha seems a bit more complicated. When i opened the oil cup on top of the engine compartment, it did not even have an indicator to check if additional oil is needed.

I would like to learn to do the oil change myself, and any instructions or help is much appreciated.

Also, if someone knows the type of oil to purchase that would be great as well.

thanks in advance!
michmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Manual Labor

Hmmm...oil change on a Yamaha...let's see...a Yamaha V-Star...hmmm...well I'D SAY BUY A FREEKING MANUAL FOR THE BIKE AND LOOK IN THE MAINTENANCE SECTION UNDER 'HOW TO CHANGE THE OIL"..Barring that there's a little 16mm bolt at the bottom of the engine case that if you un-screw all the oil will squirt out into a recepticle of some sort hopefully. As for the philter, you're on your own. MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
vermicious
Registered Member

It ain't rocket surgery that's for sure.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

What oil to purchase -- Hmm, I'd say Castrol R.

Of course, with that oil y ou have to flush out all the dino oil and use nothing but Castrol R for the rest of the bike's life.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Oil Changos? We don' need no steen-keen oil changos!

(you might look for an "alternate" oil dip-stick, or a sightglass on the side of the crankcase. Or look in your Owner's Manual for the proper procedure to determine how much oil and what type the engine requires)

(What? No Owner's Manual? See https://www.starmotorcycles.com/star...starthere.aspx You'll have to register, but they've got online service-schedules and Owner's Manuals back to 2002)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Don't forget the Pre-Heater for the Castrol R, since it lubricates like sh!t when cold. Remember all those pre-heaters at the quarter midget races? And Speedway?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Cuddy, we're in So. Cal, not England. We don't need preheaters (especially with this Global Warming and all.)

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Castrol R is soooooo last Tuesday.....

What you need is good ol' Mobil 1 15w50 car oil....

What's that you say??? I'm a cheapskate like Dr. Saruzawa and B-Bar ???... well then Shell Rotella 15w40 diesel oil or Chevron Delo 400 LE 15w40 in handy 1 gallon containers available at fine auto parts stores and Wally * Worlds nationwide is the one for you..The maximum protection avaiable in a Dino based oil, meets and exceeds most synthetics in viscosity retention and resistance to thermal breakdown all for less than $15. a gallon.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #9
michmike
Registered Member

thanks for all the comments guys. I guess i need to go buy a manual since the guy that sold me the bike did not include it in there.

cheers.
michmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
geajustkuz
Registered Member

Default Yamaha oil change

Well I Found out how to change the oil in my 2005 650 Yamaha... On the right hand side is a small derby cover, take it off, Then inside are 3 bolts, take them out , be carefull you have a gasket to watch for....If you ripe the gasket make sure you replace it... You will see the oil filter....Take it off and replace... Make sure you drain your oil first... Plug is under the bike....
geajustkuz is offline   Reply With Quote