Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Charlie26
Registered Member

Default NeeD Help Please

Hi, I bought a 95 ZX7R last week. The bike was riding good when i bought it then the day after i got it i noticed there wasnt oil and it wasnt starting. So i bought 10-W40 auto fully synthetic oil and put it in. It then started and ran for about 2 days. Then it didnt want to turn over and i wound up draining the battery trying to start it. I bought a tender and fully charged the battery, I still cant get it to turn over. Could the oil be the problem? If i didnt put the right oil in can it have messed something up? I try starting with the choke and it still wont work. I dont know what else to check it sounds like it isnt getting any gas but the tank is full. Please help me, thanks.
Charlie26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
12er
Founding Member

petschlong turned to "ON", Fuel filter clogged, if you pull the fuel line from the carb does it pour out on the ground? If you pull a plug does it spark? Due to oil being shared in the trannie and the crank case get proper Motorcycle oil.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

The oil isn't causing your issues, but you do need to get motorcycle-specific oil because (as 12er said) it's shared with the transmission. The gears in the trans are very hard on oil, so moto oil is formulated to deal with it.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
Charlie26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
petschlong turned to "ON", Fuel filter clogged, if you pull the fuel line from the carb does it pour out on the ground? If you pull a plug does it spark? Due to oil being shared in the trannie and the crank case get proper Motorcycle oil.
Thanks, please bare with me this is my first bike and i dont know where anything is or what they look like. what is a petschlong? And where can i find the fuel filter and the spark plugs? Is it hard to do any of the things u are saying? Thanks again
Old 05-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Charlie26
Registered Member

ok just figured out what the petschlong is. And i was messing with that the other day and i think it was off, but my friend asked me to check that so when i got home from work i turned it to on and it still didnt work, does it maybe take a little while for it to turn on? Thanks
Old 05-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie26 View Post
ok just figured out what the petschlong is. And i was messing with that the other day and i think it was off, but my friend asked me to check that so when i got home from work i turned it to on and it still didnt work, does it maybe take a little while for it to turn on? Thanks
Kwackers usually have a vacuum controlled petcuck that has "on", "res" and "pri". The "pri" position bypasses the vacuum control and allows the carbs fill with the engine off. "res" is for 'reserve' and is only used when the bike runs out of fuel in the "on" position.

Plugs are on the front of the engine about 3/4 the way from the bottom and have wires on them. Pull a spark plug and connect it to the lead and place it's @ss end against the metal engine. There should be a plug wrench in your tool kit. Crank the engine and you should see a spark. If not your igniton system has trouble.

Pull a plug after cranking the engine and it should be wet. This means you are getting fuel. Dry means you are not.

Either way you really need to get a shop manual for it. The $40 bucks or so is money well spent because your visits to the shop will cost hundreds.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:17 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Charlie, if you really don't know where the spark plugs might be, perhaps diagnosing and fixing the bike might be over your head. I'm all for DIY, but if you have zero background with motor vehicles you're going to have a really hard time of it. If you don't have a pal to mentor you, you might be better off taking it to a local shop and letting them fix it. Especially if you want to ride the bike while you're young.

Or, you could submerge it in warm salt water for 72 hours and see if that helps.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

Charlie, some of the terms we use are to get around the "nanny" software. So we come up with fancy names for the fuel valve, like "pet-male rooster", because the nanny will step on "pet****".

AFA oil, you can use automotive oils- especially the synthetics- if you avoid the "Energy-Conserving" formulations. That's not usually a problem, because most EC oils are too light (0W or 5W) for motorcycle applications.

The hot tip is to buy the Mobil 1 15W-50 jug at WalMart for $19, and then go to an auto parts store and get a Purolator PureOne of the proper size (roughly $6), and Bob's yer uncle!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
Charlie26
Registered Member

Default update

thanks, yea i figured out that whole petschlong/malerooster thing. Thats pretty funny that u have to do that. So i just went home for lunch and checked on my bike after reading some posts on the forum. I noticed there is a black tube on the right side of the bike that isnt connected to anything and it looks like it leaked onto the inside of the right fairing. Not sure what its for but it looks like it runs up somewhere under the seat. I didnt have much time to investigate or try and see if anything comes out when i try and start the bike because my battery is finishing charging. And on the left side there is a tube that has what looks like to be one of those light plastic filters on it going to nothing as well but this has a plug in it so I am wondering if that is the vaccum tube? Tonight when i get home i will put the battery in and try to start it and see if anything comes out of that tube that goes to nowhere. When i try and start it it sounds like it isnt getting gas, and i messed with the reserve switch the other day but i put it to on yesterday and it still didnt start, all i did was drain the battery. Any ideas? Thanks and sorry for the long post its just that i just got the bike and im kind of anxious to ride it more.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Oog.

The black hose is very likely an overflow drain. It should be connected under the gas tank. You do NOT want gas to overflow onto a hot engine.

The only reason for one of those little filters is to filter gas. If it is a gas filter, it should be in line between the tank (or the bottom of the petc ock, actually) and the carb's gas feed.

You really need to sort that out.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote