Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
roademon
Registered Member

Default Running rich, how to fix?

my 82' yamaha seca 400 is running rich. I had it running for about 5 minutes and it started to sputter, wouldn't take any throttle response and then it died. kept doing this every time i started it until now it just wont start. I pulled the plugs and they are black at the end. I assume this is running rich. I'm learning as I go on the mechanics of this bike so anyone know how to fix this problem? I though carb adjustment until i realized i have no idea how to adjust the carbs on it.
roademon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, it's really hard to give advice. Has it been sitting a long time? Could be any number of things. The carbs might need cleaning. The best thing you could do would be to get a manual.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Rich?

Easy fix - Institute Taxes, Tariffs, and misc. Fees, and soon-enough it will be Rich no-longer.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:23 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Just saw the exhausts off about 1/2 between the head and the muffler. It won't run rich any more, I promise.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You could always buy a boat.... the people I know that have boats are constantly throwing money at them 'specially sail boats, my bud has a 40 footer with a 350 GM motor and teak decks...beautiful boat but man that thing eats money like there's no tomorrow....just to haul it out of the water and clean barnacles and change the zinc's is costing him $85 a day in dry dock fees...Couldn't f'n believe it, him and his wife sailed it up the inside passage to Alaska last year and it cost them a fortune...you think wind is free but you need the motor for electricity and gas up there's around $6.00 a gallon in places....If you don't want to be rich buy a boat !

As for your bike, soot on the plugs could be anything from a stuck choke to mice in the airbox. You need to ensure the airbox, filter and ducting is clear going into the carb, the choke is operating properly and the plugs and coil are good. Basically sooty plugs indicate a weak spark or excess fuel/insufficient air. The insufficient air and weak sparks are pretty easy to check so start there before you go tearing stuff apart..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
You could always buy a boat....
ROFLMAO

B.O.A.T. Break Out Another Thousand
Old 05-02-2008, 07:12 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The two best days of a boat owners life: the day he buys it, and the day he sells it.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
roademon
Registered Member

It seems to be flooding the carb. I opened up the top of the carbs though and it looks like brand spanking new in there it's so clean. I had it running earlier this year, rode it around the block had it sit there running for a while no problems. Had to repair my tank so it's sat for about two and half maybe three weeks. Now I put the tank on and it's acting up. Air box is clean along with the filter. and the plugs looked fine last fall before it was stored. And it seems to have good spark. It's definately flooding itself, it runs fine at first and gradually starts to sputter and choke until it stalls then it just doesn't want to restart until I give it a few hours or the next day.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roademon View Post
It seems to be flooding the carb. I opened up the top of the carbs though and it looks like brand spanking new in there it's so clean. I had it running earlier this year, rode it around the block had it sit there running for a while no problems. Had to repair my tank so it's sat for about two and half maybe three weeks. Now I put the tank on and it's acting up. Air box is clean along with the filter. and the plugs looked fine last fall before it was stored. And it seems to have good spark. It's definately flooding itself, it runs fine at first and gradually starts to sputter and choke until it stalls then it just doesn't want to restart until I give it a few hours or the next day.
There is crud in the float needle-valve(s) in the bowl on the bottom of the carb.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
roademon
Registered Member

how do i fix that?