Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 04-16-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default '94 Xr600 Knocks On Start Up

A buddy of mine has a '94 XR600 Honda that's been maintained well enough (indestructable bike) but lately something strange is happening:

When the bike is started up, hot or cold, it makes a knocking noise that goes away in a couple minutes.

Bike runs fine and pulls good, no noises when running or under load. Just when it's sat for a few minutes, the knocking noise starts again, and goes away. Plug is clean and the motor uses no oil. Oil & Filter is clean. Using the recommended 10/40 Honda Motorcycle oil. Ignition timing checks out.

Any ideas you MOrons?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
A buddy of mine has a '94 XR600 Honda that's been maintained well enough (indestructable bike) but lately something strange is happening:

When the bike is started up, hot or cold, it makes a knocking noise that goes away in a couple minutes.

Bike runs fine and pulls good, no noises when running or under load. Just when it's sat for a few minutes, the knocking noise starts again, and goes away. Plug is clean and the motor uses no oil. Oil & Filter is clean. Using the recommended 10/40 Honda Motorcycle oil. Ignition timing checks out.

Any ideas you MOrons?
Could be those pesky hydraulic lifters.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Sounds sorta-like the classic "Piston Slap" symptoms. Did those things come with forged pistons? Hard to diagnose something like this over the Intersex.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
jamesdemien
Registered Member

could be the automatic decompression thing...is it knocking like miss firing or just making a bunch of noise.
jamesdemien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Knocking like something's shot in the lower end. Then it goes away...
Old 04-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
12er
Founding Member

My KLR started making a similar noise and it turned out to be a pitted crank. But the noise never went away... Oil pump starting to go or did the "splasher" fall off and something isnt getting oil right away?
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:42 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Low oil pressure at idle causing a rod knock?
Old 04-30-2008, 04:04 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

A knock? Not a tick or a tap but a knock? Not many parts in an engine make a knocking sound. Usually it's the rod. I'd say that something very bad is going to happen very soon. Better pull the head and cylinder and check the rod end play. It's not hard to pull the top end on a single. An ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure.

Unless it's pre-ignition. Bad gas?

Last edited by seruzawa : 04-30-2008 at 05:21 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:20 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

It's the lower rod bearing, that's the only thing that will give a deep knocking sound. Valves, piston slap or an upper end bearing make more of a ticking or chattering sound. It goes away after a few minutes because of thermal expansion and enough of an oil film builds up to let it qiet down. I had the same thing happen on my V65 Sabre

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I was thinking since it's a dry sump system, maybe there's a ball check valve somewhere that's letting the oil drain back into the tank (front downtube)and for a few seconds the lower end is dry at startup, until the pressure comes back. I called Glendale Honda and spoke with one of the mechs, he had no idea what "dry sump" meant, so I hung up.