Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

That could be, if so then it'll probably be in or near the oil pump. If it's accessible you could disassemble and inspect, if not you might try draining the oil and refilling with some 5w20 or add half a quart of kerosene. start it up and let it circulate for a few then drain it back out and refill w/ the correct weight. It might act as a flush and let the ball reseat..

Cheap and dirty fixes are my speciality !
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
That could be, if so then it'll probably be in or near the oil pump. If it's accessible you could disassemble and inspect, if not you might try draining the oil and refilling with some 5w20 or add half a quart of kerosene. start it up and let it circulate for a few then drain it back out and refill w/ the correct weight. It might act as a flush and let the ball reseat..

Cheap and dirty fixes are my speciality !
Even if you find such a problem and fix it it's still dollars to donuts that that rod bearing is not long for this world. I'd still pull it and mike it.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

True, they don't last long without oil
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

"Cheap and dirty fixes are my speciality !"

That and motors that clunk and leak oil. Because you ride a Harley, you are an expert at these things!
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #15
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"Cheap and dirty fixes are my speciality !"

That and motors that clunk and leak oil. Because you ride a Harley, you are an expert at these things!

Not only that but I'm a flaming cheapskate as well..."Patchwork Patty" is my twin sister...."beat to fit, paint to match" is my moto... why spend a dollar when a nickle will do......I beat washers flat and use them again.....gaskets+Gasketcinch are a long term investment....sprockets can be turned over and used again....I drain the oil out of my bike and use it in the car, 20K later I drain it out of my car and lube the chain with it.....oil filters can be swished around with gas and re-used, the gas then goes in the lawnmower....bent nails make excellent cotter pins....a little Bon Ami down the intake will break the glaze on any cylinder

I could go on....
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 04-30-2008 at 11:01 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Not only that but I'm a flaming cheapskate as well..."Patchwork Patty" is my twin sister...."beat to fit, paint to match" is my moto... why spend a dollar when a nickle will do......I beat washers flat and use them again.....gaskets+Gasketcinch are a long term investment....sprockets can be turned over and used again....I drain the oil out of my bike and use it in the car, 20K later I drain it out of my car and lube the chain with it.....oil filters can be swished around with gas and re-used, the gas then goes in the lawnmower....bent nails make excellent cotter pins....a little Bon Ami down the intake will break the glaze on any cylinder

I could go on....
You walk a lot, eh?

Though I can testify to the longevity of gaskets when the magical Gaskacinch fluid is applied.

BTW, old motorcycle wiring harnesses can be used to create new ones.... old handlebars make great ratchet/wrench extentions... The chrome ring can be pried off of a tach or speedo and the needle glued back on...
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off