Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
adam79
Registered Member

Default 04 honda vfr800 stalling

I heard this on VFRworld and wondered if it was true, and if so was there a fix for this problem, besides turning up the idle, replacing battery, installing new fuel pump, new spark plugs, or wiring harness recall. Bike was bought new in 07, bike will drop below idle when the clutch is pulled in and the bike will die if I dont keep the RPM's reved up. Very intermentint. When the bike is doing this I smell exhaust really strong. Has happened since new. Is this quote true.

"I remember reading an article in Motorcyclist, and the editor, Mitch Boem, a VFR nut, had a long term 02 or 03 VFR that was doing the same thing. Apparently, Honda zoomed in and took the bike back to Japan, and they gave him a new one. Not sure if they ever posted in the magazine what the fault was, but you may get some info there if you email them."

Can anyone confirm this, or can I email Mitch Boem. Thanks for any info you might have.
adam79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Bike is flooding out. Check does carbs.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
adam79
Registered Member

the bike is fuel injected, shouldn't flooding. Bike is brand new, bought in 6-6-07, left over stock from Honda. No carbs. This might not be the best place to get info I guess.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You're right, the best place to get info would be the Honda dealer when you take it in and have it repaired under warranty

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:54 AM   #5
adam79
Registered Member

If it was only that easy. Ive taken it to three different dealerships, and even drove 2000mile to take it back to the dealship I bought it from. No one will ride it for more than 50 miles. It takes longer than that for it to act up sometimes. I just got trough putting 562mile on it and the bike just now started acting up again. Honda is saying it has to act up while they are riding it. I have video of this happening but honda won't even look at that. Im in contact with two other people that have this same bike and have the same problem, but no one has a fix. Need some help from someone other than HONDA Co. By the way My case manager, Randy, and the District manager John Salney or worthless.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Intermittent problems like that USUALLY are electrical problems. Such problems are extremely difficult to fix. I know this from 20 years as both an Electronics Tech and an Avionics Test Engineer. I wish there was some easy fix I could recommend. What we do is simply replace things until it works again. The difficult nature of intermittent problems makes them the most difficult of problems. I believe the official technical term for such a problem is "A Cast Iron Bytch".

The basic principle of electronics... what makes things work.. is something you've probably heard of called "FM". Most people think FM is radio broadcast terminology but what it really stands for in electronics is "Focking Magic".

I would suspect it centers around some component that gets too hot and orders the EFI to enrichen the mixture. You might look for signs of overheating like discoloration. Or there could be a loose connection.

Fortunately for you if the bike fails you don't have to worry about landing it. If our systems fail it's punchout time.

Last edited by seruzawa : 04-12-2008 at 07:56 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Ooops, fool injection eh? Way too much stuff to go wrong or get mal-adjusted, MAP valves, TPS sensors, backflow management module (on CIS the gas that isn't used gets sent back to the gas tank via another line). Like my late Buell City-X they could never fix the over rich condition that eventually carboned up everything and ruined top ends, so if I were you I'd put that thing up for sale and buy sumpin else. You got yerself a lemon there boy.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
adam79
Registered Member

Its just hard to sell something to someone, when you know its not working properly.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Do you have a lemon law in your state? multiple trips to repair the same problem fall smack dab in the middle of that. It's a ridability, there fore safety issue. Every time it burps take it in and get paperwork showing it was in the shop to no avail, once you reach the required number of visits, call the state attorney general and jam it back up their corporate ass's.

By a Bandit instead.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I always thought Honda's, and especially VFR's are indestructable. Learn somethign new every day I guess.