Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 04-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
Saki
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Not to be rude here but niether you nor your friend seem to know what you're looking at. The best thing you can do at this point is take it to a Honda or independent mechanic and have them put it right for you.
Not being rude - I've only adjusted carbs on a running bike before, and my friend has never worked on carbs, but this is more of an opportunity to learn something new, so if taking the carbs off is the way to go, we can do that.
Saki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Hokay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saki View Post
Not being rude - I've only adjusted carbs on a running bike before, and my friend has never worked on carbs, but this is more of an opportunity to learn something new, so if taking the carbs off is the way to go, we can do that.
If you are serious about this then first follow bbtown's advice and look for something that got pulled loose or out of place when he changed the plugs. Maybe a cable got pulled out of its seat or a wire is loose. If everything looks in place and it still won't run then suspect the carbs. A manual will give you the adjustment and overhaul procedures. They usually have troubleshooting tables as well. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You did put the plug boots back on the right plugs didn't you? gapped correctly, proper heat range and so on? since your problems began after changing the plugs, it's logical to assume the problem lies there. You may well be chasing a rabbit down a hole with the carbs, if they worked before the plug change they should work afterward. As previousley noted, check every connection, hose and wire for something that inadvertantly got disturbed.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #14
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
You did put the plug boots back on the right plugs didn't you? gapped correctly, proper heat range and so on? since your problems began after changing the plugs, it's logical to assume the problem lies there. You may well be chasing a rabbit down a hole with the carbs, if they worked before the plug change they should work afterward. As previousley noted, check every connection, hose and wire for something that inadvertantly got disturbed.
Or, all the rust, sediment, dead bodies, etc. in the bottom of the tank got stirred-up and is now sticking in the float-valves, causing them to hang-open.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #15
bbtowns
Founding Member

Airhawk and Sarnali have good points, the only way the carb would be involved from a plug change, is inadvertantly. Sediment could have been stirred up in the tank when removing and reinstalling, which then made their way block something, but that probably wouldn't make things rich (unless it did make it to the float mechanism as Airhawk said). A throttle or choke cable on the carb being disturbed is more likely IMO, but I think I went there previously. Check the cables, check the carb boots (especially on the airbox side), check the plugs for gapping, check for unplugged wires (maybe a vacuum tube got knocked off?), look for signs of problems in the airbox, is there a mixture of gas an oil sitting in the bottom? These kind of problems are usually fairly easy to find if you duplicate the process you went through to begin with. Did your friend notice that when he pulled the tank it seemed stuck? Some times a tab will hook a cable, especially when filled with gas and harder to lift.

Last edited by bbtowns : 04-11-2008 at 10:03 AM.
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote