Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 04-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Bas2thesem
Registered Member

Default zx6r shuts off when I grab clutch

I am pretty much frustrated to the point where I just want to sell the bike and end the headache. I love my 98 zx6r, babied since I got it in 2002. A week ago it started chugging at around 7 or 8 thousand rpm and when I would grab the clutch the rpm's go to zero and the bike stalls. Sometimes is will turn back on, sometimes not. Leaving me on a busy street crankning till my battery is dead. I took it to an authorized kawi mechanic and he said he couldnt get it to shut off when he rode it, but he re- synched my carbs, put in a new air filter and made sure my battery would hold a charge. He also said the spark plugs were in good shape. My question is what should I be hunting for? Clogged fuel line? Dead battery? I am just about out of options and just about done with this damn bike . What is this a tell tale sign of?

please help me, you know how much it hurts a biker to be riding in the cage when the weather is beautiful and everyone is riding thier rockets?

thanks
Bas2thesem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Judging by what you've described, it doesn't sound like an electrical problem, as the bike is trying to run before it cuts off at 7-8 grand. When you say "chugging" does it sound like its got the choke on? Over rich condition? Or does it sound like it's running out of gas? Sounds like some kinda problem with the fuel system. Water in the floatbowls maybe? How much gas is in the tank when this happens? Is it on reserve by any chance? Have you checked for a rodent infestation? Termites?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
Bas2thesem
Registered Member

Default Re: zx6r shuts off

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Judging by what you've described, it doesn't sound like an electrical problem, as the bike is trying to run before it cuts off at 7-8 grand. When you say "chugging" does it sound like its got the choke on? Over rich condition? Or does it sound like it's running out of gas? Sounds like some kinda problem with the fuel system. Water in the floatbowls maybe? How much gas is in the tank when this happens? Is it on reserve by any chance? Have you checked for a rodent infestation? Termites?

It chugs like its running out of gas. It will running perfectly one second, chug and die, or die when I come to a suden stop and wont turn back over. I havent checked for any infestation (that's a first) but Im pretty sure its not that. Has anyone experienced this before? Almost feels like theres something floating and obstructing fuel from getting in at some points and floats back and lets fuel run free at other points. I have tried it with the pet**** set to "on "off" and "reserve" in hopes something will work. Beats me
Old 04-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Does the "AHEM" petcokek have a "prime" posiiton on it? Might try that...Try draining all the floatbowls with that little phillips screw on the side, you might have wa wa in the carbz. The sudden stop think tells me it migt be water sloshing arround somewhere in the fuel system.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Bas2thesem
Registered Member

No there's no PRIME setting on my petcoc* (lol) but I have tried all the settings and none really make a difference. Like I said I have had my carbs and plugs checked. In the manual it says that a clogged fuel line or obstructed tank vent (I think) should be to blame. But Im not so sure at this point, it could be anything
Old 04-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

One possibility is that the "choke" is slightly closed. Many bikes use a mixture enrichening device rather than an actual choke. If this device isn't completely closed when the engine warms up it can bog the bike down just like you are experiencing. Both my 84 Magna and my 82 GS1100 did this. Make sure that your choke linkage/cable is free and that the choke closes completely.

On the Magna the choke lever on the carb assembly eventually got so loose that I had to rig a light spring on it to ensure that the choke lever stayed completely open when not in use.

Last edited by seruzawa : 04-03-2008 at 06:37 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
andyrob26
Registered Member

Hi mate. my 1998 zx6 is doing exactly the same. it is so embarrissing!!.,.runs great over 4000rpm..under it is not good..pull in clutch and it cuts out..thankfully mine restarts at the mo... ihave had carbs cleaned balanced and a full service..i have only had the bike a week..my missis will have my balls if she knows it aint running rite and i am spending on it...it is now having a new fuel pump on fri as the mechanic says this is not working properly..i am puzzled..have you ahd any joy??..i will leave u my mobile no. as i know how frustrating this is..if you have any luck please please ring or text nd hgelp me..i will post here on fri if the pump is the probelm..
cheers..
andy 07794142488
andyrob26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
SonnyRides
Registered Member

Jeez, guys, the solution seems so obvious . . . don't pull in the clutch! OK, I'm sorry, that was just mean. It sounds as if it is fuel obstruction; first guess being water, but you may have to check the fuel flow from each point that it's accessible in order of it's sequence, from tank to carbs and making certain that the choke is working properly . . . no fuel and an over abundance of fuel will often create the same pattern of behavior.
SonnyRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
andyrob26
Registered Member

hi . thanks for that. i try not to pull in the clutch but unfortunately i have to at red lights..lol...i guessed that there is a fuel problem somewhere. i am having a new fuel pump fitted friday. not sure if this will work but the mechanic seems to think that may be a bit faulty and temprimental. i thought if it was pump it would do it at high revs too..maybe i am totally wrong. i have had carbs cleaned full service and am now starting to get miffed with a bike i have only had a week!! i knew i should have stuck with cbr's lol (my 2 last bikes were cbr 600).
i am just desperate to get this fixed s i can enjoy riding it and not dread everytime i have to pull clutch in to stop.
andyrob26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Looks like this problem isn't uncommon. It was pretty easy to find via a quick Google. Check out this thread at:

no power whatsoever I NEED HELP : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum

just taken the bike out for a test run,it wont get above 6000rpm and its sluggish up to that,it stuggles getting to 40mph,not sure wether the cause is because of the butterfly valve on the exhaust,i mean i took the servo completely out,and thought if i reset the ecu,by riding at 18mph for approx 15 minutes it would get rid of the servo fault code 34 but now im thinking the butterfly valve might be closed and that this would be the most likely cause,since i removed the servo and the valve cables on saturday the bike would rev to 8000 rpm then die,i revved the engine in neutral,thats how iv come to the conclusion that it is the valve,i mean i did take her round the estate a week ago and didnt see a problem.is it even possible that it is the butterfly valve or am i looking in the completely wrong place?i need as much help on this as possible,im not far off gettin her back on the road now,just need some advice!!!

Please try to focus future posts here at Motorcycle.com on non-motorcycle related topics such as: car insurance and rentals, Global Warming, penis-enlargement, etc. Thank you.