Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 03-30-2008, 02:03 AM   #1
Battleaxe
Registered Member

Default Actual gear RPM

Question for anyone. I have owned shaft driven bikes, but want to play with a 5 or 6 speed chain driven engine.
I'm ultimately wanting to find out how not to wreck a reverse kit before I spend money on the thing. The question is,... if I am turning 5,000 RPM on anyone particular engine, then what is the actual RPM on the drive shaft? I realize the spocket differential, tire size, but not real sure on the shaft RPM from 1st to 5th,
6th or how to figure it out without putting,.....say a RPM gun on the thing for an actual reading? I feel like I have a brain fart here since I'm turning a sled into a 4wheeler and have that figured out. Thanks, Battleaxe
Battleaxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

A shop manual may have specs on the numbers of teeth on the various gears in the engine, drive shaft and rear hub and using those you could calculate the shaft speed in any gear. The more important question is why?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
bbtowns
Founding Member

You could calculate it based on the gear ratios contained in your owner's manual. You could also be reasonably accurate by figuring out how fast the shaft must turn to move the rear wheel a certain speed, but all involve mathematics that it would seem wouldn't be necessary for this kind of project, but I've never installed a reverse gear.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Remember folks, Motorcycle.com Tech Support is for issues with the website, not technical issues with your motorcycle. Therefore I'm moving this thread to Motorcycle mods & maintenance. You really should have known...to quote Mr. Know-It-All.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
Battleaxe
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I didn't even think I had a response to this........Sorry where I asked the question, and the reason why is cause I'm putting a cycle engine into a singe seat buggy but want reverse in it. I'm re-routing the shifter to a linkage to take the spot just as a manual shifting truck or car would have, it just won't be a pattern, but rather a shift forward or back. It will have two brake pedals also, one to lock up just the rear, and another to lock up all four. Again just for the fun of it, where I have to ride it, etc....Reverse is pratical when being strapped in a little buggy, and I do want the power, reliability , and the fun shifting that a bike engine offers. That's what I'm up to. Thanks again.
Battleaxe is offline   Reply With Quote