Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default It is possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Sparkplugs.

You need moto-mechanical help.

You have one of three choices:

If you love the bike, but don't have much money, buy a Clymer manual at your local mom-&-pop moto-shop. Read it cover to cover. Do it again. Ask questions both here and at the shop. Become intimately-familiar with the bike, then buy a Factory-brand Jet Kit to fix it.

If you love the bike, and have grundles of cash laying-about, do all the above, but pay the mom-&-pop to fix it (or lay out even MORE cash to a "Dealer", who may or may-not fix it many-hundreds of dollars later).

If you're frustrated with the bike; Sell it and use the proceeds to buy another bike, being somewhat more-informed about purchasing any moto with half-assed "power mods" done to it, no matter how great a deal it might seem.

Choose Wisely.
... to make a GSXR750 run a little better by spending thousands of $ on aftermarket mods. The question is, "Why, do people think that some guy in a greasy shop in LA can do better than the factory engineers?" If I had a nickel for every shyster who sold worthless "performance improvements" in magazines over the years I could retire. Most aftermarket intake and exhaust make bikes run worse or result in so little gain that the money is basically tossed down the rabbit hole. And especially on sportbikes.

Usually people claim their bike runs better after mods but can't prove it. I suspect it's because no one wants to admit that spending <$1K on a titanium pipe was a total waste of $.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #22
Mike18212
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
It's definitely not the "easy road". But, it has it's own rewards. Don't be afraid to ask questions here; we're smartarses, but mean well.

Yeah, that would be "ideal", IMHO. If you can find one, and all the accoutrements that go with it.

But, you said this is an '87 model-year. I would think something that old MIGHT be a bit hard to come by. The next-best thing would be to cope with what you have in-hand.
I appreciate the sentiment and the info.
A bunch of smart-asses eh? I'll fit in fine then.

So would u say that my best bet for this issue of losing power at high speed/rpm would best be solved by switching back to factory airbox or getting a jet kit? I mean i can't cope with EXACTLY what i have in hand cause what i have in hand isn't working. We've ruled out the vacuum tube it seems because i don't have one, just an empty hole which ive been meaning to plug, but apparently shouldn't since it will create a vacuum within the tank [correct?] I know the black hose leading from the pet-dong isn't kinked or anything because i got a good look at it when i was trying to replace the fuel filter, which i couldn't get out of the tubes. It's stuck in there pretty good, but looks clean anyway. I was just trouble shooting. Speaking of which, i pulled off one of the pods when i was riding to try to keep it from stalling once but it behaved more or less the same. I know these responses are real long but i think the best advice is given when a lot of info is at hand...
Mike18212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:23 AM   #23
pplassm
Founding Member

I had the exact bike you have, and it ran fine with pods. There wasn't a lot of ram-air effect going on in those days.

I am still convinced it's vent tube. Isn't there a tube coming out of the top of the tank on yours? Blow through it.

http://www.suzukitekay.com/temp/resi...750_wb_470.jpg
Old 02-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #24
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Another possibility since the carbs were serviced 800 miles ago is the float height, if that's not correct you could just be running out of fuel at that speed...

In future I'd follow Dr. Seruzawa's advice and only buy stock bikes. You can screw them up with "performance mods" all day long that way and you still have all the stock parts for when you just want the durn thing to run right. This isn't a slam against you but just sound advice, stock bikes run best...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #25
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Usually people claim their bike runs better after mods but can't prove it. I suspect it's because no one wants to admit that spending <$1K on a titanium pipe was a total waste of $.

The ones that crack me up are the guys who take a factory tuned, ex-up or power valve equipped Ti. system off and throw an Akropovic on there 'cause Rossi has one....

" yeah it runs a little ruff down low but man it sure screams at 13k"......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #26
Mike18212
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I had the exact bike you have, and it ran fine with pods. There wasn't a lot of ram-air effect going on in those days.

I am still convinced it's vent tube. Isn't there a tube coming out of the top of the tank on yours? Blow through it.

nope, just a rusty hole where the vent tube is 'posed to be located. In fact i have never seen someone in person actually have their vent tube hooked up. Maybe rust (or something) has blocked the hole inside (?) That would make some sense since this is a problem that has come up suddenly. The bike was riding for months with no probs at all, mechanincally speaking.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #27
Mike18212
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Another possibility since the carbs were serviced 800 miles ago is the float height, if that's not correct you could just be running out of fuel at that speed...

In future I'd follow Dr. Seruzawa's advice and only buy stock bikes. You can screw them up with "performance mods" all day long that way and you still have all the stock parts for when you just want the durn thing to run right. This isn't a slam against you but just sound advice, stock bikes run best...
i couldnt agree more. It's simple logic- they're made they way they're made for a reason. I mean if people wanna get 'expressive' u think they could just slap on a sticker or something...
Old 02-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #28
Mike18212
Registered Member

Default also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post

im glad u had the same exact bike cause it means u have a good frame of referrance. U say ur bike ran fine with pods and no other mods? The only other mod that im aware of wih this bike is a yoshimura slip on but i dont think that affects anything performance wise. It's just for the sound, i assume. Once again, i bought it like that. I will def check the hole for the tube now, see what's doing although it's hard to see inside there.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Since the bike is 20 years old this would be a good opportunity to pull the plastic and fuel tank and carefully inspect all the plumbing and hoses for cracks, loose fitting, etc. A loose or broken air hose can induce some strange effects.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:38 AM   #30
pplassm
Founding Member

My bike had K&N pods, and a slip on muffler (I do not remember the make). I believe the needles in the carbs were shimmed up a bit, and larger main jets fitted.

If the vent hole in your tank is rusty, you really should drain the tank and see how badly rusted the inside of the tank is. If rust particles are getting to your carburetors, that will really screw things up, too.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike18212 View Post
im glad u had the same exact bike cause it means u have a good frame of referrance. U say ur bike ran fine with pods and no other mods? The only other mod that im aware of wih this bike is a yoshimura slip on but i dont think that affects anything performance wise. It's just for the sound, i assume. Once again, i bought it like that. I will def check the hole for the tube now, see what's doing although it's hard to see inside there.