Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 02-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
acecycleins
Founding Member

It's out of breath. Sportbikes depend on the airbox to pressurize the airflow and thus have continuous flow for the carbs. Find a used box and install it. Repeat your objectives and if it doesn't die you have figured out the issue. If it does die, I'd say your carbs need to be re-fitted with needles that actually work for you.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I prefer Pet-tallywhacker myself, Irregardless it sounds like the float bowls aren't keeping up at high speeds. Pinched vent or damaged vacuum line to the pet-schlonger would be my guess.

Good advice about replacing the airbox and original flat panel filter, as a general rule removing or drilling the airbox or removing snorkles is a pretty good way to make your bike run like sh*t unless you replace them with other componants to do the same thing

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 02-18-2008 at 07:51 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #13
Mike18212
Registered Member

Default thanks for the help!! here's some more details

I don't have a vacuum tube, it's just a hole on top of the gas tank. I wish i did have an airbox but thats how i got the bike. I tried running the bike down 95 south today and i got a couple doxen miles or so but then it happened again. I pulled over and let it sit for a while. It wouldnt idel unless i opened the choke a bit- which would make on ethink it was the pods. But i cleaned them recently and i have tried pulling open the choke while riding and it still konked out. It sounds exaclt like a bike running out of gas when it does. It needs high RPMS for the phenom to happen. It's been idling outside my house right now for about 20 mins- put some carb cleaner in the gas tyank. Does any1 think it could be the carbs. Supposedly they were serviced less than 800 miles ago...

Last edited by Mike18212 : 02-19-2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: (i dont know wtf im doing)
Mike18212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:41 PM   #14
Mike18212
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Are you saying that if you run at 60-70 mph, it will run fine all day? I knew a guy who had virtually the same problem on an older bike. The rings were sticking, and the engine lost compression when the bike got really warm. Try a compression check when it's cold and again after it's heated up.
I have no idea how to do a compression check but no, the bike will not run fine at 60-70mph, it will just take longer to conk out.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

So are the plugs bone china white or black and wet when it stops running.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #16
Mike18212
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcdjevans View Post
So are the plugs bone china white or black and wet when it stops running.
plugs? i apologize for my ignorance (only been riding bout a year) so i dont know what plugs exactly ur referring to but if u tell me ill look into it.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #17
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Sparking plugs, dear.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #18
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike18212 View Post
plugs? i apologize for my ignorance (only been riding bout a year) so i dont know what plugs exactly ur referring to but if u tell me ill look into it.
Sparkplugs.

You need moto-mechanical help.

You have one of three choices:

If you love the bike, but don't have much money, buy a Clymer manual at your local mom-&-pop moto-shop. Read it cover to cover. Do it again. Ask questions both here and at the shop. Become intimately-familiar with the bike, then buy a Factory-brand Jet Kit to fix it.

If you love the bike, and have grundles of cash laying-about, do all the above, but pay the mom-&-pop to fix it (or lay out even MORE cash to a "Dealer", who may or may-not fix it many-hundreds of dollars later).

If you're frustrated with the bike; Sell it and use the proceeds to buy another bike, being somewhat more-informed about purchasing any moto with half-assed "power mods" done to it, no matter how great a deal it might seem.

Choose Wisely.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #19
Mike18212
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Sparkplugs.

You need moto-mechanical help.

You have one of three choices:

If you love the bike, but don't have much money, buy a Clymer manual at your local mom-&-pop moto-shop. Read it cover to cover. Do it again. Ask questions both here and at the shop. Become intimately-familiar with the bike, then buy a Factory-brand Jet Kit to fix it.

If you love the bike, and have grundles of cash laying-about, do all the above, but pay the mom-&-pop to fix it (or lay out even MORE cash to a "Dealer", who may or may-not fix it many-hundreds of dollars later).

If you're frustrated with the bike; Sell it and use the proceeds to buy another bike, being somewhat more-informed about purchasing any moto with half-assed "power mods" done to it, no matter how great a deal it might seem.

Choose Wisely.

I choose option A. I dont know if i LOVE the bike but i like it and i cant afford sh**. Been meaning to get the manual for a while, it's always better to learn in my opinion. But any bike i can afford will be "half assed" in one form or another. Otherwise i wouldnt be having these problems. But on the other side, couldnt i also go back to the airbox?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #20
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
I choose option A. I dont know if i LOVE the bike but i like it and i cant afford sh**. Been meaning to get the manual for a while, it's always better to learn in my opinion.
It's definitely not the "easy road". But, it has it's own rewards. Don't be afraid to ask questions here; we're smartarses, but mean well.

Quote:
But on the other side, couldnt i also go back to the airbox?
Yeah, that would be "ideal", IMHO. If you can find one, and all the accoutrements that go with it.

But, you said this is an '87 model-year. I would think something that old MIGHT be a bit hard to come by. The next-best thing would be to cope with what you have in-hand.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote