Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 01-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Secondary Butterflies

There are a lot of posts out there on the various forums regarding removing the secondary throttle butterflies. So, without coloring the responses with my own interpretations on the topic, can somebody fill me in on why you would do that? And why you wouldn't?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The main reason for removing them is that the average flub-dub with a cresent wrench feels he is better at designing intake systems than the factory engineering staff..........

The biggest reason for not removing them is because he's not...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I believe the secondaries keep the power down at the lower RPM's. Makes for a safer ride for most people. I know the guys that took out the secondaries on their zx-14's got a boatload more torque down low. My Advice: Just leave the damned thing alone and ride it!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

It's all kind of a Vmax thing, right? A little servo (or electronics from the ECU for FI bikes) blows the butterflies opened around 6k and WHAM! you're making power.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
My Advice: Just leave the damned thing alone and ride it!
Pretty much my intention, aside from fun stuff like windshields etc. I'm just always interested in learning more.

Couldn't agree more with the thought that there are a lot of guys out there who think they can out-engineer the guys who do it for a living...with millions of dollars in test equipment and dozens of test engines etc. to fool around with.

There was a pretty funny post at the VStrom forum about how yanking off the intake snorkel would give you more power. Another guy was trying to explain intake pulse tuning etc. Then the first guy came back and said he'd put it back on because it actually ran better that way. Ay cheewawa!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Pretty much my intention, aside from fun stuff like windshields etc. I'm just always interested in learning more.

Couldn't agree more with the thought that there are a lot of guys out there who think they can out-engineer the guys who do it for a living...with millions of dollars in test equipment and dozens of test engines etc. to fool around with.

There was a pretty funny post at the VStrom forum about how yanking off the intake snorkel would give you more power. Another guy was trying to explain intake pulse tuning etc. Then the first guy came back and said he'd put it back on because it actually ran better that way. Ay cheewawa!
Bikes these days are so good out of the box, all that is required is to ride the damned thing! If you feel the need to tinker, and get full of grease in the process, c'mon up and I'll let you work on the Knuck for a while. I figure that should cure ya!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Bikes these days are so good out of the box, all that is required is to ride the damned thing! If you feel the need to tinker, and get full of grease in the process, c'mon up and I'll let you work on the Knuck for a while. I figure that should cure ya!
15 years of the Shovelhead Low Rider took care of all that for me. The fun part was, you could actually do stuff to improve the bike, like add electronic ignition, S&S carb, etc. I'd rather get an old British sports car if I feel the need to putter in the garage. I like to actually RIDE my bike!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Get one of those...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
15 years of the Shovelhead Low Rider took care of all that for me. The fun part was, you could actually do stuff to improve the bike, like add electronic ignition, S&S carb, etc. I'd rather get an old British sports car if I feel the need to putter in the garage. I like to actually RIDE my bike!
... old English sports cars and puttering in the garage is ALL you'll do!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
... old English sports cars and puttering in the garage is ALL you'll do!
Yeah, but what smells and sounds better than a '74 TR6 or MGB? Nothin..cept maybe a Shovel with drag pipes right after a nice Gunk job.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
It used to be you could get a substantial increase in power because the factory engineering of Triumphs, BSAs and HDs was so pi$$ poor. A few hundred bucks might get you 10-15% more power. Today a few thousand bucks might get you 3% more power. Hardly worth it. That's if that 3% gain on top doesn't cost you a 5% loss in the low and midrange.