Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 12-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
banditrider45
Registered Member

Default Suzuki Customer Service and Repairs

Who knows how to get Suzuki Motorcycle Corporation to repair a motorcycle that was intentionally built with a mechanical flaw i.e. over sized oil ports in piston causing excessive oil burning and usage? The story is that I have a 2002 Suzuki Bandit GSF1200K which has the notorious oil burning problem; it has less then 4000 miles on it and is not covered under any warranty. So, how do I convince Suzuki to fix a problem that exists in 50% of the Suzuki Bandit motorcycles built in 2001 and 2002? Any ideas?
banditrider45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

After reading lots on this subject after buying an 01 Bandit, you will never get it fixed from Suzuki at this point. They never recalled the bike on that problem, so they will never fix it under warranty. The only thing to do is have the pistons replaced yourself.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
After reading lots on this subject after buying an 01 Bandit, you will never get it fixed from Suzuki at this point. They never recalled the bike on that problem, so they will never fix it under warranty. The only thing to do is have the pistons replaced yourself.
Another advantage of not buying a bike from that eeeevvil Harley corporation. There are no problems with Japanese bikes. They are sure to tell you so.

This Bandit problem is just another in a long line of "Eff yous" from the Big4.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Funny how that works. Yamaha mixed-up the oil lines on a few 1981 Virago 750's and EVERY '81 Virago that came in for a tune up, oil change, new tire, etc. got a new top end. How Suzuki can deny they screwed up and produced smoking polluting oil burners in beyond me. Maybe someone with lots of $$$ can start a class-action suit. I never liked Suzukis anyway, ever since the Cyclone, Duster 125 and the water buffalo. Always left me unimpressed.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Don't get me started on the problems I had with my TL1000. My Busa was great, and I think this Bandit will be a winner, but the TL1000 was the shame of Suzuki. I'll stop short of calling it a lemon, but when it bucked like a bronco at crusing speed(horrible lean mapping), clutch slipped from day one(back torque limiter didn't work correctly), gas tank leaked twice(recalled), frame broke twice(fixed under warranty, but fixed on a case by case basis), I have to say things were not well with that bike. The Bandit problem Suzuki did address in a service bulletin, and would only fix it if a 'dealer test' was performed. The problem was never recalled, even though by some estimates, a full 75% of those in the VIN range smoked and burned and excessive amount of oil. I don't condemn Suzuki, because I don't believe any of the other OEM's are any better.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:32 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Could be worse. Could own a Magna, LOL!
Old 12-14-2007, 08:51 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Here is the 'official' Suzuki bulletin on the matter:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tsb-b12-2.jpg (101.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg tsb-b12-1.jpg (110.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I know from being on Maximum Suzuki that a lot of people got new pistons, I think as ever the biggest factor was the dealership. If the dealer went to bat for you Suzuki would eat it, if not you had to play f'n games with them. I was lucky with both my Bandits, the first one was in the VIN range but was an early production model and apparently still had the older version pistons and my '02 is outside of the range and is oil tight. Your Bandit was probably a smoker Longride, that's why it has the JE pistons in it.

The hot set up if you had to go it alone is to go JE 11:1 pistons, GSXR cams, a Holeshot ignition advancer, drill a 2 in. hole in the the airbox, add a K&N and re-jet and a Holeshot or Yoshi can. That's good for at least 120 ponies at the rear wheel for about a grand or so. Not a bad investment..........

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 12-14-2007 at 09:29 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditrider45 View Post
Who knows how to get Suzuki Motorcycle Corporation to repair a motorcycle that was intentionally built with a mechanical flaw i.e. over sized oil ports in piston causing excessive oil burning and usage? The story is that I have a 2002 Suzuki Bandit GSF1200K which has the notorious oil burning problem; it has less then 4000 miles on it and is not covered under any warranty. So, how do I convince Suzuki to fix a problem that exists in 50% of the Suzuki Bandit motorcycles built in 2001 and 2002? Any ideas?

What you're asking is for Suzuki to give you a set of pistons and rings plus labor for free on a 5 year old bike you bought used..........I'm afraid it ain't gonna' happen there pod'ner. The original owner should have addressed the issue when the bike was new, as a general rule Suzuki would repair the bike if you complained about it and could prove it was a smoker. This problem started from day one with these bikes so there's no excuse for it not to have been fixed. In your case I'm afraid it looks like you're going to have to eat it yourself or pass the bike on to some other poor soul.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:27 AM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Here is the 'official' Suzuki bulletin on the matter:
Suzuki thinks if your engine only burns .99 quarts of oil in 500 miles that fine. "Excessive oil consumption" is a quart or more. I think HD has an equally absurd standard for that.