Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 02-15-2008, 04:46 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Hope it works out for you. Nice to see Suzuki step up and help you out.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2008, 10:42 AM   #22
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Hope it works out for you. Nice to see Suzuki step up and help you out.

Yeah that's amazing they would step up on a used bike like that...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #23
Tim D.
Registered Member

I know this thread is way old [Feb, 2008] and no one may ever see this reply, but youz guyz helped me much with the info and the TSB about the oil-consumption problem. I am buying an '01 Bandit from my brother after it has been sitting in his garage for 4-5 years. The gas tank was so full of rust that it looked like someone had been storing their used coffee grounds in there! Has anyone else ever seen this, or is it typical for a bike that has been sitting for a long time?
BTW, he says that the bike never used any oil (it only has 8K miles on it), so maybe he lucked out and got one with the 2000 pistons. Thanks again!
Tim D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #24
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Saves a lot of time and trouble, never having to change the oil. I'm surprised the Japanese didn't think of it.
Apparently they've been learning. My 07 Vee, with about 12k miles, is now producing tiny oil drops on the floor of the garage. Not many...but enough to "mark it's spot." It's frikin ridiculous. I was reading on Stromtrooper.com - Powered by vBulletin about another guy who had the same problem. Took the bike in under warranty and waited months for the rebuild. I can't decide if I should just ignore it, take it in for the dealer to f with, or wait until just before the warrany expires and then take it in.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #25
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D. View Post
I know this thread is way old [Feb, 2008] and no one may ever see this reply, but youz guyz helped me much with the info and the TSB about the oil-consumption problem. I am buying an '01 Bandit from my brother after it has been sitting in his garage for 4-5 years. The gas tank was so full of rust that it looked like someone had been storing their used coffee grounds in there! Has anyone else ever seen this, or is it typical for a bike that has been sitting for a long time?
Yeah. Gas tanks typically are unpainted on the inside. If the tank isn't full to the brim, water condenses inside the tank, which then begins to rust.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:53 AM   #26
pplassm
Founding Member

You can treat the tank with a couple of products to remove the rust and restore the moisture proof coating. New tanks are not exactly unpainted on the inside, they have a chemical treatment that prevents rusting, unless the inside is exposed to moist air for long periods.

Kream, POR-15, and Caswell all make good products. I am restoring 3 tanks right now. It's a bit messy and may harm the finish, so be careful.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #27
Tim D.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
You can treat the tank with a couple of products to remove the rust and restore the moisture proof coating. New tanks are not exactly unpainted on the inside, they have a chemical treatment that prevents rusting, unless the inside is exposed to moist air for long periods.

Kream, POR-15, and Caswell all make good products. I am restoring 3 tanks right now. It's a bit messy and may harm the finish, so be careful.
Thanks for the info on the tank coatings. That is my next step, to coat the tank. In a moment of desperation, I tried to remove the rust using a product called Rusteco. It was insanely expensive! With shipping and everything it was $145 for a quart bottle of what looked like shampoo, which is mixed with 5 gallons of water and then put in the tank for 3 days. I was hoping that it would get it clean enough to not have to coat it. I followed the instructions to the letter, but it didn't work worth a damn (yes, I am an idiot). My next step is to put a bunch of small rocks, star washers, and BBs in the tank and tumble it to get it as clean a possible inside, rinse it out with alcohol, and then coat it. My thinking now is that once a tank has rust in it, the only was to salvage it is to clean it with mechanical means and then coat it. Otherwise it will just rust again and gum up the carbs. A very expensive lesson for me!
Tim D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D. View Post
Thanks for the info on the tank coatings. That is my next step, to coat the tank. In a moment of desperation, I tried to remove the rust using a product called Rusteco. It was insanely expensive! With shipping and everything it was $145 for a quart bottle of what looked like shampoo, which is mixed with 5 gallons of water and then put in the tank for 3 days. I was hoping that it would get it clean enough to not have to coat it. I followed the instructions to the letter, but it didn't work worth a damn (yes, I am an idiot). My next step is to put a bunch of small rocks, star washers, and BBs in the tank and tumble it to get it as clean a possible inside, rinse it out with alcohol, and then coat it. My thinking now is that once a tank has rust in it, the only was to salvage it is to clean it with mechanical means and then coat it. Otherwise it will just rust again and gum up the carbs. A very expensive lesson for me!
Put some nuts and stuff in it and then tie it to the back of longride's Knucklehead for an hour. Should be spotless after that.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #29
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Don't get me started on the problems I had with my TL1000. My Busa was great, and I think this Bandit will be a winner, but the TL1000 was the shame of Suzuki. I'll stop short of calling it a lemon, but when it bucked like a bronco at crusing speed(horrible lean mapping), clutch slipped from day one(back torque limiter didn't work correctly), gas tank leaked twice(recalled), frame broke twice(fixed under warranty, but fixed on a case by case basis), I have to say things were not well with that bike. The Bandit problem Suzuki did address in a service bulletin, and would only fix it if a 'dealer test' was performed. The problem was never recalled, even though by some estimates, a full 75% of those in the VIN range smoked and burned and excessive amount of oil. I don't condemn Suzuki, because I don't believe any of the other OEM's are any better.

Was this an "S" Model longride? I demoed a few of the
TL1000s and yea they didnt have the fuel injection correct at all. No matter how many times I would reset my grip on the throttle,...it sucked!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

It was. After a Power Commander and some Yosh cans the bike was cool. Stock it was just rotten to ride along with the other issues made it a pretty bad bike for a Japanese mfg. to produce. It did win 'Bike of the Year' in 1997 too! Go figure.