Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 12-02-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Skydivezone
Registered Member

Question VL1500 LC Starting Problem?

Hi all, posting in the hope that someone cleverer than me might be kind enough to assist me in narrowing down a problem on my recently purchased 01 VL1500 LC.
After stopping to chat to the missus the other day I attempted to restart eh bike but couldn't get it to fire up? Eventually I ran the battery down and got the other battery that I had and got her going. The strange thing was that the bike seemed to be turning over really slowly as if it were struggling to crank?
Same happened a couple of days later,she was turning over really slowly until the battery went dead! After charging she started and I set off home fro work. After stopping for petrol I got on and she turned over really quickly ie. normal??

Bit confused and really appreciate any help guys

Thanks in advance

Andy
Skydivezone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

..Sounds like the curse of Lucas. Check the alternator for output, and all the other charging doodads that keep the battery full of juice. Since the bike started right up after installing a new battery, I'd say you've narrowed it down already.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
..Sounds like the curse of Lucas. Check the alternator for output, and all the other charging doodads that keep the battery full of juice. Since the bike started right up after installing a new battery, I'd say you've narrowed it down already.
Dang, I figured you were going to tell him how to McGyver a new alternator out of some used shotgun shells, a kids spinning top and some spare coat hangers from the dry cleaner.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Cuddy is slippin'.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
Skydivezone
Registered Member

Hello mate and thanks for your input. I might not have explained well enough. I didn't replace the battery, I just used another to jump the bike. When I pulled into a garage and restarted the bike it turned over really quickly. I've found other forums mentioning putting the bike in gear and rocking it then selecting neutral as if to imply that the bike might not always be in neutral?

Still confused

Andy
Old 12-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

? Not in neutral? Then how did it turn over without lurching forward? Here's what I'd do; first you're gonna need three empty shotgun shells, a kid's spinning top toy, and some wire coathangers...
Old 12-03-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
Skydivezone
Registered Member

Errr, yeah, right, ok. Thanks for that. As you can see from the posts below, there are lots of people having the same problem. The bike doesn't lurch forward but seems not be to "properly" in neutral. Others go on about decompression systems not operating properly.

Just trying to get to the bottom of it

BELOW ARE POSTS, AND REPLIES FROM ANOTHER FORUM FROM FOLK WITH THE SAME ISSUE.

I own an 2002 Intruder 1500 LC, and for the last month I have had a problem with it starting. I have replaced the battary and also had the starter checked. No problem there. Does anyone have any sugestions on what else to look for?
Thanks.
Steve
mwag60@yahoo.com

i have a 2000 and now am experincing the same problem that you describe. had dealer put in new regulator with no help. would like to know what you did to correct the problem. thanks johnh122@hotmail.com thanks for the help

i,m new to this site so ya probably already have your ans, to starting prob. if not go to this web site moc,s place and you will see something called decomp for dummies click on it and follow dir,s its very easy,

What exactly is it doing???

Check the plug that goes to the rectifier. Mine was bad, I cut the plug out and wired it direct with heat shrink instead of tape, starts everytime now.
Greg

SAME PROBLEM, NO ANSWER YET.Anyone have an answer? Jack

I own a 1999 Intruder 1500. I too have the problem when starting. It feels like a flat battery but its not. Like it is not fully in netural and not allowing the engine to crank over and start. I rock the bike while gear, forward and back releasing the clutch to stop rolling. Then sometimes, I place bike in netural and starts right away.
Any solutions?

lasydney

HI guys, The hard starting is due to the decomp cable. When you hit the starter switch, a decompression solenoid is activated, releasing the high compression of the engine. The engine will turn over freely and start regularly. You need to adjust the decomp cable. If you need more info, post again and I will hook you up with a sight that gives you all the info.

Bike was slow cranking so I replaced the very expensive battery with no improvement. Does not crank fast enough to start on cold mornings. I checked all connections, starter output etc but can´t figur eit out

Any ideas?

I have same problem. Not the battery. Must be problem in gearbox or compression valve. Rock bike forward and back (in first gear or second and clutch in) use clutch to stop. Gently place in neutral and try starting. It is getting the ´NEUTRAL´ selector in correct position.

lasydney

I AM THE OWNER OF A LC1500 WITH THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM AFTER REPLACING THE BATTERY IT WOULD DO THE SAME THING AFTER I RODE IT FOR A FEW MILES.AFTER I CALLED MY DEALER AND HE DIDNT HAVE A CLUE,THEN I CALLED SUZUKI CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 714-572-1490 AND THEY SAID THEY WOULD KEEP THE CALL ON RECORD BUT I REALLY DONT THINK THEY WOULD WARRANT ANY PART. I TOLD THEM WHEN THE BIKE DOES THIS SLOW CRANKING THAT I PUT IT IN 2ND GEAR AND ROCK THE BIKE BACK AND FORTH THEN IT CRANKS RIGHT UP LIKE A BRAND NEW ONE. I BELIEVE ITS IN THE STARTER MOTOR THATS WHERE THE PROBLEM PART NO.31100-38B02 THE CHEAPEST NEW PART PRICE IS $230.00 THAT IVE FOUND AT RON AYERS.

The problem likely lies in the decompression system used when the bike is started. This commonly gets out of adjustment and the small starter motor will not turn the engine over without the decomp system working correctly......
The procedure for adjusting can be found in the Suzuki shop manual.
hope this helps.

I tried adjusting my decomp valve, same issue. I don\´t think its the decompression valve. Many with this issue out there but nobody seems to have a cure. I have replaced batteries too, but no luck. I can jump it though, so I am wondering if its a starter issue or maybe not charging correctly?

I have a 99 intruder vl 1500 and have the same problem. I haven\´t found out anything yet.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:05 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Looks like nobody has found a solution, and my favorite quote of the day is "the dealer doesn't have a clue". Classic. Sorry about your problem though. Hope you figure it out.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:55 AM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

..this is just like the problem in Dafur: Don't send foreign aid, send suitcases (so everybody can pack up and leave). In your case I'd suggest dumping that 'Zuki, cause with a bike that size bump-starting is out of the quesiton. Unless you live on top of a hill...good luck.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

1. Remove the battery and drain the motor oil.
2.Submerge the motorcycle in salt water for 36 hours.
3.Recover the motorcycle and re-install the battery and re-fill with motor oil.
4.Discard the motorcycle.