Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   VL1500 LC Starting Problem? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/6817-vl1500-lc-starting-problem.html)

Buzglyd 12-06-2007 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydivezone (Post 174642)
Pushrod, I insult the people that answer me with nothing more than sarcasm and stupidity. I'm 41 not 14. Snip.

Once again, I'll remind you that all I did was ask a question, you forum gods choose to treat me in the manner that you did.
Good luck to you, people like you get sorted out one way or another in life so I'm not going to worry about it too much. Maybe the next time someone, politely asks a question you might think before you reply.

One final piece of advice for you......Never miss a Golden opportunity to keep your mouth shut! Think about it fella

Regards Andy

So, are you saying the shotgun shells, spinning top and coat hangers didn't work?

sarnali2 12-06-2007 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 174671)
So, are you saying the shotgun shells, spinning top and coat hangers didn't work?

Maybe he used the wrong caliber......Andy, did you use the 12 gauge?????

Honestly, if anyone here had the answer we'd tell you. You must admit, diagnosing an electrical problem over the internet is somewhat difficult at best, it seems to be a common problem that no one has nailed down yet. I think your best bet would be a UK owners club or website specific to that model, I'm sure someone will come up with a solution.

seruzawa 12-06-2007 01:17 PM

Simple...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 174680)
Maybe he used the wrong caliber......Andy, did you use the 12 gauge?????

Honestly, if anyone here had the answer we'd tell you. You must admit, diagnosing an electrical problem over the internet is somewhat difficult at best, it seems to be a common problem that no one has nailed down yet. I think your best bet would be a UK owners club or website specific to that model, I'm sure someone will come up with a solution.

... loosen one sparkplug. When the engine starts tighten it back up and put the wire back on. Make sure to wear insulating gloves while doing this. Real life experience talking here about the plug wires.

Once the bikes is running go for a nice ride and see just how wonderful life is.

pushrod 12-06-2007 01:50 PM

Andy,

Assuming you haven't already deleted us from your "Favorites", I'll offer the following.

You need to unwind, man!

Take a holiday in Los Angeles. They could use another firefighter!

Look at topics on the rest of this site, and see for yourself that the various characters are extremely helpful when they can be. The folks here have a vast repository of knowledge. Some of it relates to motorcycles. Saying that, there are a couple of us, located at opposite corners of the "colonies", that are full of "beans."

Now, about your problem. I'm referring to the bike.

A less enlightening variation of what Seruzawa said; next time the bike strains when trying to start, take out one plug. Reconnect the plug wire, and make sure the plug tip is grounded against the engine case. Try to set something up to catch the fog that will erupt from the open cylinder.

Try to start it again. If the problem is indeed the decompression solenoid, the engine should spin easily, and will most probably start. Shut it down, re-install the plug, and then tackle the DC system.

Good luck!

And please don't post a question about oil. It's not pretty.

And if you think a 600cc four cylinder bike is the pinnacle of motorcycle development, keep it to yourself.

Especially if you resemble Mike Douglas (An American actor. You probably have never heard of him. Married a Welsh girl that's young enough to be his daughter.).

nstubbert 02-11-2010 09:51 AM

solution for your problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydivezone (Post 174202)
Hi all, posting in the hope that someone cleverer than me might be kind enough to assist me in narrowing down a problem on my recently purchased 01 VL1500 LC.
After stopping to chat to the missus the other day I attempted to restart eh bike but couldn't get it to fire up? Eventually I ran the battery down and got the other battery that I had and got her going. The strange thing was that the bike seemed to be turning over really slowly as if it were struggling to crank?
Same happened a couple of days later,she was turning over really slowly until the battery went dead! After charging she started and I set off home fro work. After stopping for petrol I got on and she turned over really quickly ie. normal??

Bit confused and really appreciate any help guys

Thanks in advance

Andy

what you have is a decompression problem. The same exact thing happened to my 1998 Intruder 1500 LC. Go to google.com and type in moccsplace decompression in the search bar and you will get moccsplace website. Scroll down until you see the decomp for dummies and click on that. That will give you all the information you need to fix your problem. This is a great website for Intruder owners. For the short term, if you put your bike in 2nd gear while the bike is off and with the clutch engaged begin rolling the bike backwards while sitting on it and then release the clutch that should allow you to start the bike. If it doesn't work, try it until it does. Good luck.

jackvenne 10-10-2010 07:26 PM

I have a 2000 vl1500 purchaced new in 2000. I have experience a lot of simalar problems over the last 10 years. Each time I was able to fix the problem and its still runs like it's bran new. The first time the bike would not start it turned out to be a plastic switch that is hard wired to the stator. The dealership changed the hole stator at a cost of $350.00.I have since learned that you can bye the switch for $35.00
and hard wire it in yourself. The second time I had a problem my battery would not recharge and would drain after a full day of riding. I found that the connector to the regulator/rectififer was melted and a few of the wires were no longer connected. I had to bypass the connector and had the wires reconnected and now the battery charges and life is good. I also installed a GBAT battery from Gmanindustries.com. Its a marine battery made to fit into the VL1500. The extra cranking power from this battery is just what the bike needs.
Good luck!