Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
V2Rider
Premium Member

 
V2Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: LA - Lower Alabama
Posts: 510
Default Belt damage

During a recent maintenance check of my Roadglide I found that a small stone had gotten in between the pulleys and the belt. The stone had been pushed completely through and was poking out. The hole was very small and in the middle of the belt. One answer I received was that the belt needs to be replaced and the other is because of location and size it shouldn't pose a problem. Anyone have this happen and if you did how long did you go before replacing the belt?
V2Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Isn't a belt about $60? I'd replace it but I'll bet it will be fine until it breaks.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Isn't a belt about $60? I'd replace it but I'll bet it will be fine until it breaks.
I think the belts are closer to 200 bucks, and of course, you must remove the inner primary and seperate the swingarm to replace it. According to the service manual, if there is a slight tear in the middle of the belt, it is OK to keep running, but monitor the condition regularly. If it was me, I would run it for a while, but replace it at the earliest convenient time.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

You might want to check your HD warranty. Belts and pulleys are considered "consumables," meaning they aren't covered. The reason I mention that is that if additional damage occurs due to belt failure, it won't be covered either. I guy I sold a Night Train found that out on the way to Laconia. Cost him a grand out of pocket to get everything back together. An ounce of prevention...blah blah blah.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:15 AM   #5
pplassm
Founding Member
 
pplassm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,875
Default

Replace with chain. Problem solved.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:24 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I think the belts are closer to 200 bucks, and of course, you must remove the inner primary and seperate the swingarm to replace it. According to the service manual, if there is a slight tear in the middle of the belt, it is OK to keep running, but monitor the condition regularly. If it was me, I would run it for a while, but replace it at the earliest convenient time.
You've been reading those service manuals in bed again, haven't you?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
You've been reading those service manuals in bed again, haven't you?
Already been down the belt replacement road. Mine got cut hitting something on the highway. I actually do peruse the manual from time to time!
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Replace with chain. Problem solved.

How do you know the chains running straight with those big fat pulleys on there?
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Baja 'Bama
Posts: 3,642
Default

V2R, I'd run with it unless you plan on doing a cross-country trip. For that matter, get the AAA policy; it's probably a lot cheaper.

Mark the belt on the outside where the stone came out, maybe with a white paint pencil, and check the "wound" regularly.

Failure of a belt is usually caused by the loss of a bunch of strands across the belt. It sounds like yours was minimal. Bear in mind the belt is WAY over-engineered for the application, and will survive almost any abuse, except maybe snatch wheelies. Of course, my crazy buddy with the Ultra does it regularly, and his belt has 45K on it. YRMV.

One thing that will trash the belt in a hurry is misalignment of the rear wheel. You start overheating and shearing the teeth off, you're buying a new belt sooner than later.

In the bad old days when HD first started with the belt final drives, there were a lot of drive-end failures, where the drive sprocket would come off the transmission drive shaft. Not only would the transmission oil start leaking out, but it'd peel a bunch of teeth off the belt. Big bux, and a lot of ridicule from the "Metric Bike" guys.
__________________
You would not understand,
this is not how I am...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
V2R, I'd run with it unless you plan on doing a cross-country trip. For that matter, get the AAA policy; it's probably a lot cheaper.

Mark the belt on the outside where the stone came out, maybe with a white paint pencil, and check the "wound" regularly.

Failure of a belt is usually caused by the loss of a bunch of strands across the belt. It sounds like yours was minimal. Bear in mind the belt is WAY over-engineered for the application, and will survive almost any abuse, except maybe snatch wheelies. Of course, my crazy buddy with the Ultra does it regularly, and his belt has 45K on it. YRMV.

One thing that will trash the belt in a hurry is misalignment of the rear wheel. You start overheating and shearing the teeth off, you're buying a new belt sooner than later.

In the bad old days when HD first started with the belt final drives, there were a lot of drive-end failures, where the drive sprocket would come off the transmission drive shaft. Not only would the transmission oil start leaking out, but it'd peel a bunch of teeth off the belt. Big bux, and a lot of ridicule from the "Metric Bike" guys.
I found out the hard way that if the belt gets cut on either edge, it will tear itself up in a very short time. His wound was in the middle, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but any type of edge cut, and the belt must be replaced very quickly, or it will leave you walking.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off