Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
pushrod
Founding Member

LR,

Roger that!

Something else for the long-distance guys to consider is the Belt Repair Kit. They used to be available for $100 and some at HD dealerships, and probably elsewhere. The idea is similar to the emergency fan belts and now serpentine accessory belts for cars.

So, you can carry one of them in the bottom of one of your bags for use if your drive belt breaks. Of course, Murphy has a corollary that says something like, if you carry the thing, you'll never have a problem. Kinda like a tire repair kit.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
LR,

Roger that!

Something else for the long-distance guys to consider is the Belt Repair Kit. They used to be available for $100 and some at HD dealerships, and probably elsewhere. The idea is similar to the emergency fan belts and now serpentine accessory belts for cars.

So, you can carry one of them in the bottom of one of your bags for use if your drive belt breaks. Of course, Murphy has a corollary that says something like, if you carry the thing, you'll never have a problem. Kinda like a tire repair kit.
I have one of those belt kist, along with a tire repair kit and air pump. Cheap insurance!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #13
pplassm
Founding Member

Count me as one of those not really sold on belt drive. I have had two friends lose a belt on the road, one late model Buell, and one on an HD.

I have put many miles on chains without failure. I can't remember when I last heard of someone discussing a chain failure on a road bike.

Oh, do we need to mention BMW final drive failures here, too?

Despite all that, I do own a belt drive Buell and shaft drive bike.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:31 AM   #14
vermicious
Registered Member

It wasn't the chain's fault but..

I had a chain snap on me whilst doing 85 on the Baltimore beltway. It wound it's way around the rear wheel causing a braking effect without quite seizing the rear wheel up. The bike slowed down too quickly for me to get over so I had to pull the bike into the 3 foot wide strip between the jersey wall and the fast lane, dismount off the back of the bike, unwind the chain by hand, and run my ass and the bike across three lanes of traffic.

Good times. I had just had the rear tire replaced and the mechanic who did the work must have quit about halfway through tightening the rear wheel when he put it back on. Now I check out everything (twice!) after any service.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #15
V2Rider
Premium Member

Thanks for the advice. I plan on marking the belt and watching it. Once I get the time and geld I'll have it changed out.

Meanwhile I'll be busy riding my new scoot, an 07 Bonneville T100.
V2Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:30 PM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

If I had my 'druthers I'd have a chain and sprockets. Modern O and X ring chains are good for 20k easily with minimal care and feeding and you never hear of them snapping or anything else. Hell, after the first 1k or so you don't even need to adjust them untill they're buggered. A $100. for a decent chain tool and a Dremel is all you need to change them.

I'll leave the belt on my Dyna because it works but if built another bike it'd run a chain with maybe a belt primary.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:13 PM   #17
vermicious
Registered Member

Hell, a $30 press works just fine... what's the $100 chain tool do?
Old 11-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #18
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious View Post
Hell, a $30 press works just fine... what's the $100 chain tool do?
Motion Pro makes one for ~$90 that's a combo breaker, sideplate press, and rivet tool (for those who don't trust clip master links).
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #19
vermicious
Registered Member

I just went with the $30 rivet press... no complaints.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:32 AM   #20
V2Rider
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
If I had my 'druthers I'd have a chain and sprockets. Modern O and X ring chains are good for 20k easily with minimal care and feeding and you never hear of them snapping or anything else. Hell, after the first 1k or so you don't even need to adjust them untill they're buggered. A $100. for a decent chain tool and a Dremel is all you need to change them.

I'll leave the belt on my Dyna because it works but if built another bike it'd run a chain with maybe a belt primary.
I'v had bikes with belts since 86 and have never had a problem before. My Heritage had around 90,000 miles on it when I changed it out. It was still in good shape and I probably could have gotten a few more years of use out it but I figured since I had the bike apart I'd change it for peace of mind.

I had a primary belt drive on my 82 FXR. I snapped two of them. Then again I rode a lot more agressive back then.
V2Rider is offline   Reply With Quote