Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 10-29-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
jclax01
Registered Member

Default WD40 and Gear shift

I have a 1997 Virago 1100. Just recently I was noticing my gear shift was sticking in the up position after I up shifted. I decided to spray a bunch of wd 40 in the mechanism. Seems to work fine. Took it up the road with no problem. Was wondering however, is there some lubricant in the gear shift that I should worry about changing. The fix seemed a little too easy, or am I good to go.
jclax01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The only lubricant the gears have is the same oil you put in the engine. The gear shift lever and any linkages on the outside are exposed to heat, cold, dust and rain. A little wd40 or similar penetrating oil on any exposed moving parts will keep them from binding.

With the exception of course of the brake discs which, while indeed both moving and exposed work much better if they bind at the appropriate times...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

If your shift linkage is rusty then WD40 bill break up the rust and other crud. I use WD40 to rinse my chains occasionally before lubing them. Since WD40 evaporates away rapidly you should get an oil can and fill it with SAE30 and squirt a little on the linkages. Do this every spring and your shifter should work fine.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
jclax01
Registered Member

ok no wd40 on the brakes....got it. lol
Old 10-29-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

I have to repeat this all the time. Seruzawa got halfway there, but didn't hammer the point home: WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. It is a "Water Displacement" formula. It's designed to drive water out of places it doesn't belong. Because of its volatility (that is, the speed at which it evaporates) it cannot lubricate for long. You should, as Seruzawa said, use a penetrating oil or other appropriate lubricant to ensure your parts continue to move smoothly.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
jclax01
Registered Member

very good point sachi. I have an old oil can that will work just fine for that. I was driving and did noticed that it did not move exactly as smooth as it did when I first applied the 40. I am thinking of hiting it with the 30 weight oil and then probably hit it with the greese gun too.