Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 10-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #11
pplassm
Founding Member

It all depends. There is a shop in my city that specializes in stuff like this. Most larger shops won't go near it as it's too old.

Where are you located?
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2007, 01:26 PM   #12
jonnyddirks
Registered Member

yea thats what i thought.OK so how do you get out a stripped allen screw?
jonnyddirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
jonnyddirks
Registered Member

southwestern minnesota.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #14
jonnyddirks
Registered Member

any help on the stripped alen screw?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyddirks View Post
any help on the stripped alen screw?
Go to the hardware store and get a set of spiral fluted screw extractors, also known as "Easy Outs." Drill the center of the bolt per the specification on the package. Insert the spiral fluted screw extractor with the supplied tool and remove the bolt. When the spiral fluted screw extractor breaks off in the hole, discard the motorcycle.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:50 PM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You need a little more help than you're gonna get on line there son....

To remove a stripped allen screw you need a correct sized drill bit and the correct sized e-z out. If you're REEEEEAL good you can use a drill bit that's allllllmost the same size as the screw, drill the center out and knock the rest out with a screw driver. I'm guessing you don't have a lot of experiance so most likely the e-z- out will be the best for you.. Lots of penetrating oil..lots of patiance..lots of luck..

I'd still go with the Hail Mary, you can see there setting up for a punt, you can go right around them....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #17
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Go to the hardware store and get a set of spiral fluted screw extractors, also known as "Easy Outs." Drill the center of the bolt per the specification on the package. Insert the spiral fluted screw extractor with the supplied tool and remove the bolt. When the spiral fluted screw extractor breaks off in the hole, discard the motorcycle.

Well ya' beat me to it that time dincha'......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:08 PM   #18
pplassm
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Easier to just drill the head off with a 1/4 inch drill bit. After the cover is off, use a vise-grips to tunr the exposed screw shank.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:15 PM   #19
jonnyddirks
Registered Member

I'm getting a new plug to try first then if that doesnt work ill pull the cover off.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #20
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default The 1974 DT250A

Had CDI ignition. It was the first year of the "NEW" Yamaha enduro, which incorporated the MX frame from the previous years motocross bikes, along with a through-the-frame exhaust system, lower CG, thermal flow shocks, etc.

If the bike is drooling black crud out of the exhaust flange, the lower end is full of crudded up gas/oil from sitting for a long time, Also, the crank seal on the primary drive side could be blown, and is sucking in tranny oil, causing the black goo.

And no, the headlight doesn't have to work for the bike to run. If you have "no spark" the best bet would be to buy a Clymer manual, and find a donor bike at a salvage yard, to pirate igniton parts off of. The '74 wasn't as easy to work on as the REAL Yamaha Enduro of '73 (that had a magneto/points igniton).

Contact Speed & Sport Yamaha in Bloomsberg PA for all the NOS parts you want. Tell Cindy I sent 'ya.