Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 10-25-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
gowings96
Registered Member

Default Winter Battery Storage / Charging

Okay, I tried searching for a thread that addressed this because I know this has to be a frequent question but...here goes.

Looks like it is nearing the time to store my battery for the winter. I have a Battery Tender Jr as well as a Battery Charger of some sort, I'll have to look at the box again. Anyway, is it okay for the battery if I hook it up to the charger and leave it in the garage? It gets cold out there, it isn't heated so it will get to freezing. Will it damage the battery if it is out there in the freezing cold but hooked up to the charger?

I'm hesitant about hooking it up in my warmer basement because of gases coming from the battery.
gowings96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Just leave the Tender Jr. on it in the garage. The cold won't hurt a thing. Just a reminder, fill the gas tank to the top (prevents condensation) and add some fuel stablilizer to it so you won't be one of the 100 people that post here that their bike only runs with the choke on.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

You don't worry about your car battery do you?

It's got to get AWFUL cold to freeze sulfuric acid solution. Winter battery maintenance is as simple as disconnecting the ground terminal when you park the bike and then charging the battery with a one-amp charger overnight once in the middle of winter. If your battery can't survive that way it's time for a new one anyhow.

More than once I've neglected my bikes completely for 3-4 months of winter. No charging, no stabilizer, half empty tank, etc. Though usually I make a point of going out and running them at the half way point in January. They always start after the float bowls fill up, even after 4+ months. Winter storage is an overblown "problem".

Long term storage, years, is something else.

Last edited by seruzawa : 10-25-2007 at 06:54 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The guy I bought my Bandit off had it sitting for three years with stabil in the tank and a battery tender on it. All it took was a couple of tankfuls to flush the system of old gas and the stabil and it ran like a raped ape. I was impressed how well that worked.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings96 View Post
Looks like it is nearing the time to store my battery for the winter.
Smother the battery with Kramp Easy Lube. Discard the battery.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
gowings96
Registered Member

Has anyone used this charger: Vector 2/10/15 Amp Smart Battery Charger - 12 Volt, Model# VEC1089A

It says it goes automatically to float mode. I bought this brand new as a charger last spring for a battery that was too dead to save. I didn't realize it has a float feature.

I called the company just to see if I could leave the battery on for several months and they answered, "Thank you for calling Black and Decker customer service."

The voice response kept trying to steer me towards telling it that I wanted warranty information so I just started insulting it until it gave up and gave me a real person. Childish but effective.
gowings96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Default 2 amps....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings96 View Post
Has anyone used this charger: Vector 2/10/15 Amp Smart Battery Charger - 12 Volt, Model# VEC1089A

It says it goes automatically to float mode. I bought this brand new as a charger last spring for a battery that was too dead to save. I didn't realize it has a float feature.

I called the company just to see if I could leave the battery on for several months and they answered, "Thank you for calling Black and Decker customer service."

The voice response kept trying to steer me towards telling it that I wanted warranty information so I just started insulting it until it gave up and gave me a real person. Childish but effective.
.... is waaay too much to float a motorcycle battery and will boil it dry. 100 milliamps is more like it. How about one of those solar cell chargers?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Winter storage is an overblown "problem".

Long term storage, years, is something else.
I don't think the winter storage thing is 'overblown' here. You can't believe how many bikes that people put away, don't start them for 5 months, and then can't believe that it doesn't start in spring. Gummed up carbs are quite common here, and lack of winter prep is always the problem. Tank corrosion is pretty common here too. It ain't that hard to fill the tank and throw in some StaBil. An ounce of prevention man.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Wink Jeez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I don't think the winter storage thing is 'overblown' here. You can't believe how many bikes that people put away, don't start them for 5 months, and then can't believe that it doesn't start in spring. Gummed up carbs are quite common here, and lack of winter prep is always the problem. Tank corrosion is pretty common here too. It ain't that hard to fill the tank and throw in some StaBil. An ounce of prevention man.
Maybe we could start a "winter storage service" for the rubes. A squirt of stabil and a full tank and disconnect the ground lead. Show up in January and charge the battery for an hour. Show up in March and reconnect the battery. Charge 'em $100 bucks. BMW suckers spend $2K on a simple service interval. I'd bet we could rake it in and put Buz to shame.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:47 AM   #10
ejis
Founding Member

Store a bike for winter? Put on some layers and ride, poser!!!

(sorry, someone had to)
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote