Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 10-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
Bandana
Registered Member

Default V65 Magna VIBRATION Problem!

I have an 85 V65 Magna. I restored it top down, but I have a vibration problem that I can't seem to fix. When the tach hits between 4500 and 6000 RPM I get the vibration. The best way that I can describe it is that it feels like riding on blacktop at about 50 MPH on knobby tires. I have done all of the obvious things (i.e. new tires, balanced tires, tighten motor mounts, etc.), but nothing works. I strongly beleive that the vibration is caused by the engine because I can pull in the clutch and the vibration completely goes away. Speed doesn't matter. 25 MPH or 65 MPH, the vibration is there whenever the tach is between 4500 and 6000 RPM.

Any suggestions that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. HELP!
Bandana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

When you say "restored it top down" did you mess with the motor?

Sounds like the vibes might be caused by sloppy crank bearings, loose cams, or any other malady that plauged the mighty V65 Magna.

Also, since it stops vibrating when you pull the clutch in, that might be a driveline issue too. They had shaft drive, right? Could be time to tear apart that drive shaft-rear hub.

Sure you're not riding a YZ490?

Last edited by mscuddy : 10-20-2007 at 01:47 PM.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Heh heh.

Magna's are best sent to junkyards and replaced with something that was good in the first place. Twere the early V-4s that put the skosh on the mystique of supposed Honda superior engineering. That Magna will drive you nuts from "simple" maintenance that requires you to remove the rear wheel to get at the fuel filter to valve adjustments that make Ducatis look easy. Junk it before you become victim to the "Magna moneypit".