Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 10-14-2007, 11:46 AM   #21
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Ah Catania, must have been at the same cat house, with the giant overstuffed furniture. They'd parade the girls out, in formation, and you'd get to pick one. There was one with a giant brow ridge, we all nicknamed "cave woman". Ring any bells the SN2 Thomas?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #22
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The one I remember was one we used to call the Red Devil Blower, she was quite large and always wore this red dress, she used to hang out by the castle in Napoli and ply her trade. I personally and this is the honest to god truth, never went into one of those dens of inequity. I don't care for leftovers as a general rule and by the time BT's got off the boat that's all that was left.

I used to wander around and check out all the old Roman ruins and Reinasance architecture and try to soak up a little of the ambiance, get something decent to eat instead of "the finest shipboard cuisine" and just make the visit worthwhile. After it got dark a lot of the times we'd go wander around the gut and drink wine or else sit at a sidewalk cafe` and drool over Italian babes but I never just went to the first squid bar and cat house like a lot of the guys did.

Got to see a lot of cool stuff like that and after being couped up in the pit for a month or two it was nice to get out and walk for a couple of hours. One of the funniest things I remember was this Roman aquaduct that ran through part of Naples, at each arch there was a car repair place. In the taller ones they worked on bus's and trucks, then the next size down would be taxis and those little flat bed trucks they had, then down to little Fiat 500's and scooters, the last one in line the arch was so low that over the years they had dug out the bottom of it so it was basically an underground shop..It was pretty cool, I was checking out the Aquaduct and they'd be asking me questions in Italian, "can I help you" or most likey "go to hell Americano" and I'd just smile and tell them No, I was just checking this out.....

Once you got qa mile or two in from the harbor it was a different world over there, the people were friendly and come up and talk to you, try out their English and stuff, I really enjoyed it. I was always looking for a Ducati or Laverda shop or Alfa Romeos or specially a Ferrari shop but mostly what I found were Vespa's and Fiats.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 10-14-2007 at 12:55 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:00 PM   #23
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Ah, Naples, I was pretty much the same way, only hung out in the squid bars when I had to. The No.1 Piano Bar was the most infamous for that stuff (getting into fights with jarheads, etc).

I'd usually get a few shipmates together from corrosion control (the crud crew) and we'd take a train, or bus to parts not well visited by the average squid.

Me too about looking for exotic cars/bikes. About the most exotic bike I saw, was the Moto Gizzu Falcone that the Carabeneri rode. Exposed flywheel and all.

I remember that place built under the aquaduct. Ah, the sea stories could just go on and on...
Old 10-14-2007, 09:44 PM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Ah, Naples, I was pretty much the same way, only hung out in the squid bars when I had to. The No.1 Piano Bar was the most infamous for that stuff (getting into fights with jarheads, etc).

I'd usually get a few shipmates together from corrosion control (the crud crew) and we'd take a train, or bus to parts not well visited by the average squid.

Me too about looking for exotic cars/bikes. About the most exotic bike I saw, was the Moto Gizzu Falcone that the Carabeneri rode. Exposed flywheel and all.

I remember that place built under the aquaduct. Ah, the sea stories could just go on and on...
I'm glad I wasn't in a theater as boring as the Med. You Bird Farm guys have been putting me to sleep.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 AM   #25
pplassm
Founding Member

Thumbs up

I have no idea what you're talking about.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:16 AM   #26
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post

It's no problem Sir, it's supposed to look like that.....

Old 10-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Heh heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
It's no problem Sir, it's supposed to look like that.....
Them occifers only thought that they were running things.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:51 AM   #28
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I think I remember ol' pplassm. I still have two cruise books so I have an idea who he is, he was pretty cool on the boat as far as I recall. In fact most of the Engineering Officers were OK, Lt. Burns was a bit of a prick but he was replaced by Dan Mutty who was decent enough.

Last edited by sarnali2 : 10-15-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:41 AM   #29
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default WTF, you were on the Indy too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Amazing....
Old 10-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #30
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Amazing....

I believe he was R Division Officer