Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   Not The Carb (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/6460-not-carb.html)

lilpunk1133 09-29-2007 01:18 PM

Not The Carb

I still have a delima, I took the carb apart and nothing, no gunk or anything, My friend told me it could also have something to do with the throttle cable, Is he right?

mscuddy 09-29-2007 01:24 PM

What's the symptoms again? Maybe the fuel shutoff valve on the gas tank is full of gunk. That, or does the bike have a fuel-tank vent? That might be clogged, or obstructed. Did you check the jets for obstructions when you had the carb off? Did you get those sticky-traps for rodents like I suggested?

lilpunk1133 09-29-2007 01:27 PM

I have to leave the choke on to keep the bike running, checked that too, or what I thought was the vent, it was clogged and now is not. The jets were not clogged either. I just got the bike but no rodents yet>>>hope to see none also...LOL.

mscuddy 09-29-2007 02:54 PM

Does the tank vent have a one-way valve in it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilpunk1133 (Post 170128)
I have to leave the choke on to keep the bike running, checked that too, or what I thought was the vent, it was clogged and now is not. The jets were not clogged either. I just got the bike but no rodents yet>>>hope to see none also...LOL.

..That's an old joke with desert riders, when no one is looking, reverse the one-way valve on the tank vent of your riding partners bikes. Your buddies will get 75 yards from camp, and the bike will die...big yuck yucks and har hars.

Someone did that to me once, and I almost punched him.

The_AirHawk 09-29-2007 04:58 PM

If I recall correctly, it runs OK on choke but will not idle otherwise, but runs while "givin 'er gas", right?

If so, it's the pilot jet. Very tiny orifice; unless you took it out of the carb and sprayed cleaner through it, then looked-through it and saw daylight on the other side - it is plugged. Guaranteed.

It may even require a small wire poked-through to clear it. Also, the passages MUST have carb-cleaner sprayed through them - both directions, until they run clear. There may be debris in them.

It goes without saying, you must protect your eyes when doing all this. Carb-cleaner hurts like a mofo when it gets in your eye.........

The_AirHawk 09-29-2007 05:00 PM

Oh! Almost forgot! While you have then out - check the float-height. Very tricky, very delicate operation.

lilpunk1133 09-29-2007 05:53 PM

The odd thing is that when I finally got the carb apart there was no sign of gas in the thing. I figured that it would still have a small amount of gas left but there was nothing but a light brown/tan colored powder type residue on the interior, even on the float. That seemed odd to me so I just put it back together planned on saving some money to get it fixed,But then I remembered this site so I figured I would give it one more shot. Thanks again guys

seruzawa 09-29-2007 06:05 PM

If you take it to a mechanic he is going to take the carb apart and spray it with gumout himself and then charge you $60 per hour so you may as well do it yourself and see if it fixes it.

lilpunk1133 09-29-2007 06:23 PM

will do! If it doesn't work I will post again. Thanks

Kenneth_Moore 09-30-2007 01:04 PM

If it runs with the choke on but not with it off, then the mixture must be super lean. I'd take a good look at the intake manifolds and see if it's sucking air between the carb and the head. If it has the rubber hose type, they may be decayed and/or leaking around the clamps.