Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The key to cleaing out a carb (or many of them) is to use a liberal amount of compressed air on every orafice on that carb you can find. Taking off the float bowl, looking at it, and pronouncing it cleaned isn't doing anything the parts that need it. You have to take it ALL apart and blow out everything and then assemble it correctly. I would say with 100% certainty that if it runs with the choke and doesn't when it's off, that the carb is still gunked up. Time to do that job again.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
The key to cleaing out a carb (or many of them) is to use a liberal amount of compressed air on every orafice on that carb you can find. Taking off the float bowl, looking at it, and pronouncing it cleaned isn't doing anything the parts that need it. You have to take it ALL apart and blow out everything and then assemble it correctly. I would say with 100% certainty that if it runs with the choke and doesn't when it's off, that the carb is still gunked up. Time to do that job again.
Yeah like that flooded carb that ruined my first attempt at Knuckle starting?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:51 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Yeah like that flooded carb that ruined my first attempt at Knuckle starting?
It ran, didn't it?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:49 AM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
It ran, didn't it?

I believe carb flooding is included in the "operator error" catagory, though with a Bendix on there it's almost forgivable.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 10-01-2007 at 08:52 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I believe carb flooding is included in the "operator error" catagory, though with a Bendix on there it's almost forgivable.
I rebuilt the piece of crap Bendix too. My last Shovel had a Bendix and I rebuilt it twice and STILL had to carry a screwdriver in my pocket while riding. Never got it to idle correctly or run right. Replaced it with an S&S, and after the initial adjustment, it ran 100% perfect from day one. I have an S&S on my current Shovel and it runs perfectly. I rebuilt the Knuck POS Bendix about a month ago and when Buz showed up, the float stuck when we first tried to start it and flooded it a bit. It runs decently with it, but the idle is still iffy and the throttle response could be better. I just left that damned thing alone, because it will run for another month or so. This winter I will be replacing that Bendix, and I will be happy to smash the living shyt out of it with my 13 lb sledge. Some people swear by a Bendix. I swear at em. I have cleaned and rebuilt almost every tybe of bike carb out there. Amal, Kehin, Mikuni, S&S, and others and none have given me the fits that a Bendix has. What a POS!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #16
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I thought the Bendix was the last great American carb to be used on the Harley, right? Does yours have the high & low speed adjustable jets? Isn't there some little o-ring thingamabob in there that if worn out, causes flooding? And I thought an S&S was just some glorified Linkert...I've got a giant Tillotson sititng somewhere in the garage, that came off an industrial V4 motor that might fit your needs. It looks like a lawnmower carb with a thyroid problem, but it's simple.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:46 AM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
I rebuilt the piece of crap Bendix too. My last Shovel had a Bendix and I rebuilt it twice and STILL had to carry a screwdriver in my pocket while riding. Never got it to idle correctly or run right. Replaced it with an S&S, and after the initial adjustment, it ran 100% perfect from day one. I have an S&S on my current Shovel and it runs perfectly. I rebuilt the Knuck POS Bendix about a month ago and when Buz showed up, the float stuck when we first tried to start it and flooded it a bit. It runs decently with it, but the idle is still iffy and the throttle response could be better. I just left that damned thing alone, because it will run for another month or so. This winter I will be replacing that Bendix, and I will be happy to smash the living shyt out of it with my 13 lb sledge. Some people swear by a Bendix. I swear at em. I have cleaned and rebuilt almost every tybe of bike carb out there. Amal, Kehin, Mikuni, S&S, and others and none have given me the fits that a Bendix has. What a POS!

My HD mechanic went into a lower income tax bracket when I put a Crane ignition and S&S carb on my Shovel. I do miss the days of the "Kehnin cough" and setting the points gap on the side of I-95...
Old 10-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
I thought the Bendix was the last great American carb to be used on the Harley, right? Does yours have the high & low speed adjustable jets? Isn't there some little o-ring thingamabob in there that if worn out, causes flooding? And I thought an S&S was just some glorified Linkert...I've got a giant Tillotson sititng somewhere in the garage, that came off an industrial V4 motor that might fit your needs. It looks like a lawnmower carb with a thyroid problem, but it's simple.
This one has a float sticking problem, AND an idle problem. It did it before I rebuilt it, and it does it now. It has the adjustable jets, but once you start down that road with this POS, it never ends. I adjusted the low speed jet so it didn't stumble on takeoff, and then it wouldn't idle. Once I got it to idle, then it stumbled on takeoff. I'm going to smash the f&ck out of it once it's off the bike for good. I don't know if the S&S is a glorified anything, but it works fantastic on old Harleys. Simple and reliable. Never had one bit of trouble with an S&S carb.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #19
pushrod
Founding Member

LR, you could make a lovely desk clock out of it.

Maybe a bud vase.

Is there a reason these forums don't have pages? Right now I'm viewing your post, which is #15. Supposedly there are 17 posts in this thread, not including this'n.

Signed, A ThunderBeach '07 Survivor.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #20
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yes, but if you use a Bing carb for a bud vase, it would be called a "blumen vasen".