Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
lilpunk1133
Registered Member

Question Sputtering and running rough

I have a 1994 honda nighthawk 250 that I just recently bought off of some guy around my area, and he said the carbs prob need to be cleaned bc it has been sitting a while, well I have been riding it but it seems as if it sputters a little, I am uncertain of what to do, I was given an idea, which was to empty the tank and put fresh gas in it with fuel system cleaner treatment and fuel injector/carb cleaner fuel treatment.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is emptying the tank and adding the fuel additives a good idea?
lilpunk1133 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

You should probably pull and disassemble the carbs and clean them out with spray Gumout. Sediment and varnish are likely in a bike that's sat a long time. Fuel additives have limited uitility and only really help if the system is not very dirty in the first place.

Play it safe and clean the carbs and swoosh out the tank.

It's the only way to be sure.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

If it's been sitting for any length of time, the carb is probably infested wth rodents.

Get some of those sticky traps, or a ride-a-long cat.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:51 AM   #4
pplassm
Founding Member

"Carbs prob need cleaning." LOL! Every other ad in the local want ad paper reads that way.

What is it about us Americans that we will abuse machinery in that fashion?

And why don't today's youth know how to repair such things? My daughter's boyfriends are good examples. The last couldn't figure out how to operate a hydraulic jack!

Back to the thread. Yes, you should probably remove the carburetors, dissassemble them (Or it. Isn't there only one carb on a Nighthawk 250?), and use a good carb cleaner to remove any deposits that have been left. You will need something to clean the jets, too, or it might be better to just replace them. I use compressed air to clean jets and passages, but you probably do not have access to that, or you wouldn't be asking the question.

Here's a link to a parts breakdown to help:

OEM (Stock) Parts 1994 Honda CB250 NIGHTHAWK 250 at BikeBandit.com

BTW, keep carb cleaner away from the rubber parts in the carb, like float bowl gaskets and the diaphragm. The cleaner will cause these parts to swell, and you have to wait days for them to dry out before they can be used again.

Good luck!
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:25 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
"Carbs prob need cleaning." LOL! Every other ad in the local want ad paper reads that way.

What is it about us Americans that we will abuse machinery in that fashion?

And why don't today's youth know how to repair such things? My daughter's boyfriends are good examples. The last couldn't figure out how to operate a hydraulic jack!
The reason kids can 't repair anything is that video games don't teach you how to do anything. Maybe if kids would get outside and DO things instead of WATCH things, they could actually be semi-productive human beings.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
lilpunk1133
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
The reason kids can 't repair anything is that video games don't teach you how to do anything. Maybe if kids would get outside and DO things instead of WATCH things, they could actually be semi-productive human beings.
True and I started out as on of those kids, I am willing to learn how to take the whole bike apart and be able to find problems unlike some people who just say lets just take it to a mechanic....
lilpunk1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:58 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

Remember, when you get everything put back together, any parts left over count as a bonus!

Two truisms to consider...

when you take anything apart, plan on a spring launching itself into another dimension, and

a bolt/screw will try to fall into a spot that requires the complete disassembly of whatever vehicle you're working on.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:50 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpunk1133 View Post
True and I started out as on of those kids, I am willing to learn how to take the whole bike apart and be able to find problems unlike some people who just say lets just take it to a mechanic....
All you need is a manual, some tools, and some desire. The rest will take care of itself. You WILL make costly mistakes, but that is part of the bargain. Get a manual and dig into those carbs. You will learn what it takes.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
spwg
Founding Member

You could try some Seafoam and a tank of fresh gas if you're not ready to tear in to them yet. Certainly won't hurt.
spwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Find Seafoam at most Yamaha dealerships, and I've found it at (gasp!) Wal~Mart lately........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote