Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
noenemies33
Registered Member

Default LED Lighting Yes or No

So I been debating if I should get some LEDs to light up my bike... I was in Sturgis and seen lots of people had their bikes lite up and I am wondering what you all think?

I have seen some good Kuryakyn kits however they seem a little expensive. While I was at Sturgis I seen lots of different booths that charge anywhere from 169.99 to 280.00 for a kit but thats installed.

I figured how hard could it be.. Has anyone here put lights on there bike? Is it hard? Where did you wire it too?

I was thinking of getting a LED kit from StreetGlow.com they seem to have the best prices. Anybody here seen their kits? What do you think?
noenemies33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

You're right: the prices for the kits vary widely. The bike show guys are selling cheap gear that won't last 1/2 as long as the Kuryakyn or HD stuff. If you're going to keep the bike a while you might as well get the good stuff. I sold the HD and Kuryakyn kits when I worked at the dealership and there were no complaints. I don't know StreetGlow but I'll bet you can find mention of them on the forums if you look hard enough.

The HD kits have plug and play connectors for late model wiring harnesses on their bikes, others usually run a supply to the battery or a spare fuse. Many of them mount the lights with two sided tape and tie wraps for the wire, so installation isn't that hard. You'll need to plan a good location for your switch. To do a clean install you'll want to pull the tank on a lot of bikes to position the lights well.

Keep in mind that in some areas the cops will bust you for blue or red lights. As for putting them on your bike at all, if it makes you happy, go ahead. After all, some guys actually put something called "fringe" on their bikes, so who cares about some lights?
Old 09-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
jarrado
Registered Member

I say go for it.... I've been toying with the idea of LED's mounted on the underside of my bike. Although, I had a thing called power consumption come up..... if the led's zap to much juice, it could cause some problems....

I think they make low power kits that can run off batteries, not your bikes charging system.... you wouldn't want to get stuck somewhere.

vvvvv Click my bike vvvvv

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...o/IMG_0019.jpg

Last edited by jarrado : 09-04-2007 at 07:02 PM.
jarrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

With a typical modern battery/alternator setup the LEDs can run for hours without a hit to starting power. That's the great thing about LEDs, they are inherently efficient.